Premed 101 Forums

23 credits, an F and an UN, 2.8 GPA

Just browsed a few old posts about failed courses and couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. I'm hoping for a little feedback on my tragic academic history.

Finished high school in 04 and went right to college. I was 17, had very little ambition, didn't show up to my classes. In the end I ended up with an F and a UN in my transcript. I took a handful of courses over the years and I now have 23 credits to my name and a 2.8 GPA. Just went back to school full time. There was no excuse for such poor grades, just a poor life choice.

I'm 24 years old with a new outlook and new motivation. Lucky for me I'm financially stable and have the opportunity to pursue my dream. How difficult would it be to redeem yourself from 23 credit hours with an overall 2.8 GPA? With 100 credits to go, what is the minimum GPA i'll need to maintain?

Sorry if this has a "what are my chances" vibe to it. I'm just looking for a better picture of what is required for the long road ahead.

Much appreciated

Just browsed a few old posts about failed courses and couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. I'm hoping for a little feedback on my tragic academic history.

Finished high school in 04 and went right to college. I was 17, had very little ambition, didn't show up to my classes. In the end I ended up with an F and a UN in my transcript. I took a handful of courses over the years and I now have 23 credits to my name and a 2.8 GPA. Just went back to school full time. There was no excuse for such poor grades, just a poor life choice.

I'm 24 years old with a new outlook and new motivation. Lucky for me I'm financially stable and have the opportunity to pursue my dream. How difficult would it be to redeem yourself from 23 credit hours with an overall 2.8 GPA? With 100 credits to go, what is the minimum GPA i'll need to maintain?

Sorry if this has a "what are my chances" vibe to it. I'm just looking for a better picture of what is required for the long road ahead.

Much appreciated

it all depends on trend. if you have a couple of good years under your belt (i.e. 3.7-4.0) under your belt, than schools who take best two, last two, etc...you most defintely have a shot. you're most likely hooped at schools that look at cumulative gpa. of course, it also depends on facotrs like MCAT, extracurrics, volunteer work, research, etc. the best thing to do is to research each school in Canada and find out which schools you meet the cuotffs and have the best shot. when you figure this out and are ready to apply, make sure you make the applications to those particular schools as strong as you can.

you're only 24, avg. age of most med students in Canada is 26-29. if you think it will help, go back and do a second degree. or, do a master's in a field you enjoy and see a possibly back-up career.

don't give up. the most important thing is to have a few good years like i said before. if you have this, then you most definitely have a shot. the thing i learned about med schools in Canada this year, is that each one has criteria that seems to cater to a different applicant, thus, giving everyone a shot at this. research each school carefully and get in touch with the staff to see if you would be competitive.

good luck.

Check out the success stories thread for starters.

You likely won't have a shot a cGPA schools like Mac or UofT. There are plenty of schools in Canada that will only look at your last 2/best 2/last 3 years. Pretty much start a new undergrad, get the highest GPA possible and use these 2/3 yr rules. Aim for 4.0 because you can. You'll get interviews with at least UWO/Queens (if you pass their MCAT cutoffs) with about 3.75, add Ottawa if your wGPA is 3.85.

If you can keep yourself motivated then this is certainly doable! Just don't slip into the comfort zone of old habits. Remember that to get out of the old ways its going to hurt a bit - just like muscles when starting a new workout routine.

Lurk the forums plenty and work your ass off. Its definitely possible.

Archived