Premed 101 Forums

Cardiac Surgery - how does it work?

Specifically how does the division of labor allow for the coverage of the floor and OR cases in any given day. I am on an elective at a center with much lower volume than all the residency programs up in Canada. Our program has a similar number of residents - 1 per year, but also has 5 PAs and 2-3 NPs. The mid-levels (i.e. pa and nps) run the floor do admissions and discharges and go to clinic. The residents and students go to the OR and do progress notes?

In the programs in Canada, who is running all the floor problems while the residents are in the OR? Are patients managed by the critical care team post-op or by the surgery team?

Do the attendings generally have 2 cases a day 3 days a week? How often do you scrub as a junior resident? Senior?

Do they really follow union rules i.e 1:4 inhouse call 1:3 home call?

Does anyone actually ever leave by 6 pm?

I appreciate any questions you are able to answer? Please also mention if you are guessing vs. you have been on a cardiac surgery service and observed.

Thanks

yo g

• 2 months later...

i am guessing because i've never done cardiac surg, but i recall a cardiac surg resident that i met once told me that there was a cardiologist who solely worked on the service to take care of admissions, floor issues, etc while he was in the OR...

please note: i have never done cardiac surg and i don't know anyone well in cardiac surg, i just thought i'd reply with what i think i heard since there are no other replies here

Archived