Premed 101 Forums

Number of Ontario Applicants

I have always been curious about the number of Ontario applicants that OMSAS (or Mac) receives. Last year OMSAS received 5400 distinct applicants (from all over Canada) of which 3800 applied to Mac. Of the total number of applicants, how many are Ontario applicants? It would be nice to know the break down at the other Ontario schools out of curiosity, but the data is most informative for Mac because of their policy to reserve 90% of interview spots for Ontario residents. Any ideas/educated guesses?

I have always been curious about the number of Ontario applicants that OMSAS (or Mac) receives. Last year OMSAS received 5400 distinct applicants (from all over Canada) of which 3800 applied to Mac. Of the total number of applicants, how many are Ontario applicants? It would be nice to know the break down at the other Ontario schools out of curiosity, but the data is most informative for Mac because of their policy to reserve 90% of interview spots for Ontario residents. Any ideas/educated guesses?

In the past when I've asked the MD program, I was told that typically approximately 25% of applicants are from outside Ont and 75% are from Ont. Certainly this can vary slightly yr to yr but these seem to be the trends.

So certainly it is more advantageous for Ontario applicants if 75% of the applicants are guaranteed 90% of interview invites. And on the other hand, much more difficult for OOP applicants as 25% of applicants are competing for the remaining 10% of interview invites.

Archived