Premed 101 Forums

Vasovagal reponse

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to reduce/eliminate a vasovagal response? I've seen a couple of things so far in med school that have almost caused me to pass out, and am getting kind of annoyed by it (I've had to excuse myself from rooms to prevent myself from fainting on patients :o).

Coffee, salt, complex carbs, & fluids the evening/morning before you'll be in the hospital, to reduce the orthostatic component.

I try to keep a mint or hard candy in my pocket, to pop in my mouth before entering a room/procedure where I think I may run into a problem.

Believe me, it really does get better. I fainted at the sight of someone getting local anesthetic in my first month of med school, but by the time I got to my surgical rotation I was completely over it. This is what's worked for me:

Definitely make sure you're not running on an empty stomach, like the last poster said. I use long OR days as a free pass to enjoy salty/sugary snacks (ideally something that won't cause a sugar high/subsequent crash).

Buy some compression stockings from the drugstore.

I find that muscle contraction really helps, like squeezing large muscle groups, pressing my hands together. Ask for a stool for long procedures.

Try to read up on whatever procedure you're going to see, knowing what to expect sometimes helps. It can also be helpful to watch procedural videos (NEJM, NOSM's pocketsnips http://www.nosm.ca/pocketsnips/) to desensitize yourself.

Good luck!

Happened to me while I was observing a delivery (and episiotomy). I didn't even find it disgusting or anything. I find that sometimes stressing about it doesn't help either: during the procedure, i was thinking hard about how much I don't want to faint....which eventually lead me to feel a little dizzy (so I had to excuse myself unfortunately). So yea, best think is to eat sweet/salty before, do not stress, and I guess ''practice'' makes perfect.

The vasovagal thing has happened to me a few times...which is really embarrassing as a female potentially interested in surgery, lol. Eating breakfast really helps. It's easy to skip on those busy 5:30am starts, but if you eat something in the am, it'll keep you through the day. Also, keep yourself hydrated and remember to shuffle your legs a bit to prevent blood from pooling in your veins. Also, remember to breathe. Sounds silly, but if you're really excited about something, sometimes you hold your breath or take shallow little breaths and then you're feeling lightheaded before you know it. Haha.

Must be genetic or psychological... I've never had any such feeling before in my life...
Cool story, bro. I think this was supposed to be a thread about avoiding VV response, not how you've never had it...

For the OP, don't worry about it. As someone who couldnt handle it at all (I went green when I saw my classmate put in my IV), seeing surgeries is much easier after you've seen a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get embarrassed and try and leave to escape - that's what I did and I found myself on the floor having cracked my head pretty hard...... the initial nausea was unbelievable .....and the profuse sweating. Nasty experience. I've had 2 in my life. One while trying my wedding dress on(hadn't eaten), the second was seeing my mom have a spinal tap - I tried to walk out of the room and wound up on the floor with nurses all around me. Hurt my shoulder and hurt my head. Horrid.

Recognize it - SIT DOWN!!

+1 to eating, caffeine, recognising it before it gets to "that point". I only did it once, but I have extremely low blood pressure (genetic condition) and it has ALMOST happened so many times. I felt it coming on for about 20-min or more, and then out I went. When I woke up it was like "oh thaaats what that feeling means..."

FTR it was during a pretty disgusting but also fascinating procedure, and all the other students had left at least once.

I've been trying to desensitise myself a little, I don't know if it will help me in the end or not. There are lots of great videos out there...

Must be genetic or psychological... I've never had any such feeling before in my life...

I think you're more likely to get vasovagal if you're a skinny, chronically anemic, hypotensive female, but I've seen big, athletic male classmates get it in the right set of circumstances. I wouldn't count yourself out seeing as you haven't started clerkship yet?

Never had the feeling myself until I started this lack of food/sleep thing called clerkship, lol.

Archived