Premed 101 Forums

Thanks for your comment :)

I was considering doing a second degree in psychology. I work at a neurology clinic and one day would love to become a neurologist (I love working with Alzheimer's patients and autistic children). The neurologist I do research for is wonderful and she earned a degree in psychology before pursuing masters education and later medicine. The brain completely fascinates me and I wish I had done more psychology in my first undergrad so this would be a great opportunity for me. I am also considering doing community health sciences at UNBC since I would like to practice in rural communities.

In terms of coursework at Laurentian, I live in Prince George and would likely do distance education. I've never even taken a course via correspondence but I heard that they are typically straight forward and as long as you are self motivated (which I definitely am) you should do well.

Did you pursue a second degree?

I've not done a second degree at Laurentian; however, it's not a bad school.

There are two Laurentian graduates in the UWO Meds 2013 class.

What degree do you have in mind at Laurentian?

OP, i'm working on my first degree at laurentian, and after being at a larger university previously, i can say that laurentian is a fine undergrad university, and correspondence courses are quite simple, they send you coursework, you buy the text, and mail in assignments every week to 2 weeks. a lot of students here prefer them over classes on campus because they are a relatively small amount of work, and most focus on only very basic concepts of the course.

OP, i'm working on my first degree at laurentian, and after being at a larger university previously, i can say that laurentian is a fine undergrad university, and correspondence courses are quite simple, they send you coursework, you buy the text, and mail in assignments every week to 2 weeks. a lot of students here prefer them over classes on campus because they are a relatively small amount of work, and most focus on only very basic concepts of the course.

Thanks for the reply! (My username used to be smalltowngirl33 btw). I have a question regarding laurention online coursework and final exams. How do you do these? Do you have to go to a formal testing center?

Thanks for the reply! (My username used to be smalltowngirl33 btw). I have a question regarding laurention online coursework and final exams. How do you do these? Do you have to go to a formal testing center?

Most places need you to go to a testing centre, but you can also organize it yourself with your own invigilator. A library in a small town, or even an elementary school, will often have a room to write in and a person to invigilate- if you're doing several exams (like, a whole degree) then you might be able to work something out.

One of the reasons I liked Ath better than TRU for exams was due to the exam scheduling. You have to schedule it yourself, BUT this means that it works with your own schedule. At TRU, they tell you a range of about 4 days that it will happen in, and they only give you the EXACT time about 1-2wks beofre the exam. I liked scheduling my own exams way better.

PLUS ath has supplementals. I rewrote an organic chem exam and bumped my A to an A+, no penalty on my transcript. :)

I have no idea how Laurentian does it... I too would like to know.

For coursework, you are supplied with postage paid envelopes, but you can also arrange with some course supervisors to correspond via e-mail. For exams they will find you a testing center according to the address you use when you enroll as a student, usually they aren't more than 30min away.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to add something to this thread quickly. I looked into courses at Laurentian open learning/distance ed, and it seems like although they have a lot of courses listed, not all are available in any given year. SO if you wanted to do an entire degree through distsnce ed, it might be difficult to get all the required courses.

• 1 year later...

Archived