Premed 101 Forums

Info on Waitlist/Rejections Please

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

I've seen that other schools actually seem to send out first round offers, waitlist letters as well as flat out rejections...does anybody know if U of O does the same thing or does everybody get placed on the waitlist if they don't receive a first round offer?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Guest JSS02

From reading the other message board, it appears that Ottawa sends out two types of waitlist letters. One is the "good" letter, which doesn't actually say anything especially good, but is certainly better than the other one, which makes it clear that you are unlikely to be pulled from the waiting list. I could be wrong, but it looks like this second letter is used in lieu of a rejection letter. Anyways, it looks like I'm in the same boat as you regarding Ottawa, as I did not receive an e-mail from them today. I guess I'll find out on Monday or Tuesday whether I get the good or the bad waitlist letter. Best of luck!

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks JSS02...it sure would be nice to have this confirmed from someone who actually went through the process last year...although, it seems as if Ottawa may have changed a few things this year (e.g., e-mailing first rounders).

I walk by the local processing plant on the way to Stats Can every day...and was too, as many of the candidates on other boards, drawn to their front door...they said, for my particular area, letters sent out on Friday would arrive at my place, from the main processing plant near Ottawa U, monday morning...I hope they're right...and if there are two letters...I pray for "the good one".

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Peter,

So sorry to hear you didn't get that e-mail. Hopefully they missed some people and you'll be getting good news in the mail, but in case a waitlist is the case (knock on wood) I thought I'd share some of my experiences at Western (I don't really have any experience with the U of O waitlists/admissions, but I don't think it's all that different.)

Waitlists do move. At Western last year, 189 acceptances had to eventually be sent out to fill the 118 spots in the class - so being waitlisted in June doesn't necessarily mean you won't be in class come September. Unfortunately, being waitlisted can be trying because you don't know what will happen, and it can take some time to come off the waitlist. I have at least a few classmates who came off the waitlist in mid to late August, often after they'd given up all hope of being accepted and had moved on with their lives. Still, they were happy to get in when it was all said and done.

On a further note, being waitlisted says nothing about how you will succeed as a medical student. There's no real way to tell who is "the top of the class" in medicine, but I can tell you that some of my most competent/skilled classmates were waitlisted last year. And in case things don't work (once again, knock on wood) same goes for some of the people who had to apply more than once. . . two classmates in particular immediately come to mind who are among the best medical students I know, yet had to apply to medicine more than once.

Good Luck Peter and I really do hope you get good news on Monday.

Guest PeterHill0501

UWOMED2005,

I sincerely appreciate both the info and your support. My wife who has incredible accomplishments (and I know I've stated this before somewhere...she was gold medalist in Genetics at Western in her year...graduated highest level from the Royal Conservatory of Music - Piano...huge GPA...giant scores on the MCAT...and so on, and so on...) got rejected from all schools the first year she applied...and got into several the second year...but none on first round.

With respect to the waitlist this year...I know there's still significant chance...I'm hoping, as others have suggested, there are two waitlist letters...and, of course, that I get a good one! I'm in no rush this summer in that I've got a great job...I'm more anxious to get the waitlist thing done to reduce the anxiety! It's interesting...most of the people we know (approximately 7) who graduated from the U of O program were actually waitlisted...I don't know anybody who got in first round...well, except for the people I've now met on the board.

Although disappointed that I didn't get a first round offer (ego + I wanted to take the summer off!) I'm still feeling quite positive.

Thanks again for the support.

Peter

Guest hmsdread

Hi Peter,

I still have my notes from the Ottawa info session. I wrote down:

"Two waitlist letters will be sent out. One is neutral. One says chances aren't so good."

So, unless they changed their mind between April 10 and now, I think the two-waitlist letter thing is correct.

I really hope you get the good one.

TTFN,

hmsdread

Guest PeterHill0501

hmsdread...are you really T, I, double-"G" RRRR in disguise?

Thanks for the supportive note. It's funny, I remember Nicole talking about the fact that if you were within the first 200-250 people on the list you have a good chance...if you're after that in the overall ranking you really might as well start considering other options as your chances are slim...but I don't ever remember her or anybody else talking about two types of waitlist letters, per se. Anyway, I hope it's true...at least that gives us a bit of an idea where we stand...and hopefully, yes, I would please like the good one...I'll let you know on monday...

Peter

Guest stargirl

yes...there are indeed two letters (i applied last year) - one says that you are wait-listed but that you have a decent chance of being accepted and the other says that you are wait-listed but given your position on the waiting list, you are unlikely to receive an offer...they send out a final letter once to notify people when the final class has been selected....hope that helps!

Guest stargirl

yes...there are indeed two letters (i applied last year) - one says that you are wait-listed but that you have a decent chance of being accepted and the other says that you are wait-listed but given your position on the waiting list, you are unlikely to receive an offer...they send out a final letter to notify people when the final class has been selected....hope that helps!

Guest stargirl

oops...sorry about the double posting...hope you are all surviving the weekend - i'm hanging on by my fingertips -thank goodness my room mate is so understanding - she's keeping me from snapping in two at this point...i remember reading a poem in high school once and one of the lines was something like "harder, and hardest of all, is not knowing, and waiting...this is harder than going, than outcome....." wow - so true now that i think about it...i feel like my life has been in limbo this past week...well, off to bed...only two more sleeps till monday. mail comes between 9 and 10 am - wonder if it's acceptable to come in late to work because i needed to accost the mailman?

Guest PeterHill0501

stargirl,

Thanks so much for the confirmation. It sure would be nice to get the "decent chance" letter. Good luck.

Peter

Guest AniyaSG

The 'bad waitlist' is really disappointing. Says no but leaves you with a tiny glimmer of hope that just feeds the bitterness :\ At least they do put you out of your misery, I got a final rejection at the beginning of July I think. I'm rooting for everyone that's still waiting!!!

Archived