Premed 101 Forums

UCalgary admissions question

Hey all,

I've been reading different things here and there and I'm still confused- does Calgary calculate your GPA from your best two years?

Here is how it applies to my situation. I go to the UofA and will plan to apply to both schools in Alberta after I graduate with my BSc in 2013. With that being said, will Calgary look at my full 4 years or the best 2? I know the UofA drops your worst year but I'm still confused about UC.

Thanks!

Your best two years determine whether you get a full file review (if you're OOP they're plugged into an algorithm; if you're IP they have to be over 3.2) and after that they look at your entire academic record. So they will look at all 4 years after you use the best two to meet the cut-off.

My bad. It's only really meaningful for OOPers though. 3.2 is sooo low.

Here are the relevant sections:

Alberta Residents

The minimum GPA for consideration is 3.20/4.00 when the best two completed full-time years are averaged. All Albertan

applicants who meet this standard and have written the MCAT will undergo complete file review.

Non-Alberta Residents

The minimum GPA for consideration is 3.60/4.00 when the best two completed full-time years are averaged.

Non-Albertans who meet the minimum GPA requirement are ranked using a formula. The GPA of the best two completed

full-time years, along with the verbal reasoning and biological sciences scores on the MCAT are used for this ranking.

Formula:

The top 200-250 non-Albertan applicants' files are then sent for complete review by the admissions committee.

62.517 (GPA) + 12.122 (MCAT,VR) + 6.757(MCAT,BS)

1. ACADEMIC RECORD

When the admissions committee members review the files of those applicants who have met the minimum require-

ments, they consider the entire post-secondary record (not just the best two completed full-time years). Part of the aca-

demic score is calculated purely based on full-time GPA. There is also a subjective review of the academic record by the

file reviewers which asks the reviewers to assess the degree to which applicants have demonstrated the ability to master

the academic content of the MD program.

Your best two years determine whether you get a full file review (if you're OOP they're plugged into an algorithm; if you're IP they have to be over 3.2) and after that they look at your entire academic record. So they will look at all 4 years after you use the best two to meet the cut-off.

Thanks!

I just read that info from the FAQ section under UCmed's website; although it doesn't say anything about a full file review. So they basically see if you have a good enough 2 years to be considered then look at all your years to make a decision.

Edit: thanks for that info HBP!

I also have a random question about UofC cGPA... Does anyone know if your masters grads are factored into cGPA? I know that if you have what the admin committee considers to be a full course load and your OOP that you can use if for one of your best 2 years, but I'm not sure how else it would affect the GPA calculations!

I have scanned through the admissions website and I still am unclear about this, anyone have some insight?

I also have a random question about UofC cGPA... Does anyone know if your masters grads are factored into cGPA? I know that if you have what the admin committee considers to be a full course load and your OOP that you can use if for one of your best 2 years, but I'm not sure how else it would affect the GPA calculations!

I have scanned through the admissions website and I still am unclear about this, anyone have some insight?

They're included in your GPA calculation, although not at the same weight (unless you took the same courseload during your masters).

• 4 months later...

My UofC cGPA is maybe 3.6 and my OMSAS cGPA is 3.8. UofC posts the average file review cut offs that take into account gpa, bs and vr I believe.

Ps. Found some helpful info from the accepted/wait listed/rejected forum:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/prospective/admissions/refstats and on my iPhone so copy paste is tough, but check out Page 27 of the same thread. Good info on people not even getting a full file review with gpa and mcats posted.

My UofC cGPA is maybe 3.6 and my OMSAS cGPA is 3.8. UofC posts the average file review cut offs that take into account gpa, bs and vr I believe.

Ps. Found some helpful info from the accepted/wait listed/rejected forum:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/prospective/admissions/refstats and on my iPhone so copy paste is tough, but check out Page 27 of the same thread. Good info on people not even getting a full file review with gpa and mcats posted.

Thanks so much Milos. One question though - why is your OMSAS cGPA higher than your U of C cGPA?

Thanks so much Milos. One question though - why is your OMSAS cGPA higher than your U of C cGPA?

My OMSAS is about 0.15 higher than my UofC too. They use different scales. Not sure about Milos case but for me, UofC hit me a lot harder in the conversion to GPA for a few low grades.

Archived