Premed 101 Forums

Current U of O Med Students: Why choose U of O?

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

As the time is almost here...I was wondering if current students at U of O could discuss what they believe to be the unique characteristics of U of O's meds program that would cause a candidate to choose the U of O program over the many excellent programs offered at other Canadian universities?

I asked this question during my interview and received the following response from the 4th year student:

1) Bilingual Environment - I agree this is a significant plus as I've always lived in a bilingual environment (Montreal and Ottawa) and thoroughly enjoy the francophone community and the climate that arises from the interaction between franco and anglo communities.

2) Electronic Curriculum - While I personally find this to be an important part of any program, this type of program isn't unique to U of O. Are there any aspects of U of O's electronic curriculum that are unique?

If you (current students) were asked to "sell" your school...what characteristics would you emphasize?

Peter

Guest U of O med

Well... I think the e-curriculum is an excellent point brought up by the 4th year. Although other school may use technology to a certain extent, U of O has a fully integrated web based curriculum. As I've mentioned in other forums, in particular the 15K discussion, this web based curriculum basically eliminates the need for going to school! Although you can still attend lectures, by some excellent profs from the various institutes for example: the Heart institute (the LOEB), The NRI (neuroscience research institute) etc...

What really does it for me, and the main reason I chose U of O is the atmosphere. Not a particular combination of gases or a certain level of humidity (HAHAHA), but the interaction between students and the overall attitude. If you choose U of O you can say goodbye to back stabbing, unhealthy competition and an atmosphere of anonymity and say hello to students helping each other in almost every respect, to the faculty knowing you quite often by name, a specialized campus dedicated to the health sciences. I don't want to imply that the other universities are melting pots where nobody talks to each other and you have to walk around with a bulletproof vest!! HAHAHA BUT, I have found U of O to be a nice healthy place to study, with minimal stress.

This sort of just scratches the surface of the benefits of studying medicine at U of O, but these are the factors that are most important to ME! Perhaps not to you or somebody else, but you're going to be here for 4 years... best it be as positive an experience as possible!!

Good luck!

PS: We have a few students who were accepted to practically all 5 schools in Ontario and chose U of O for these reasons, I myself only applied here for the same reasons.

Guest PeterHill0501

U of O Med,

It's very enjoyable to hear someone talk about this aspect of a school. Friendship and support are extremely important to me. The group I worked in for 12 (11 years and 12 months as the 'angel of death' said as she handed me my severance package...hee hee) years at Nortel was multidisciplinary in nature and depended on the cooperation and support from every member to ensure success. Aside from the stressful past few years until our group was terminated, I couldn't have imagined choosing to leave...primarily because of the people. There are very few environments in the workplace and in academia that one can say are truly non-competitive and supportive...it's refreshing to hear that such an environment exists in what is typically referred to as a "competitive" field.

Thanks for the response.

Peter

Guest medicator007

Peter,

Having had the pleasure of reading your posts over the past few months I wanted to wish you the BEST OF LUCK in the upcoming acceptance period. Any chance you want to come back to montreal and hang at McGill?

Cheers!

Medicator007

Guest PeterHill0501

Medicator007,

Thanks so much for your support and kind words. I really hope I get in this year...these last few days/weeks are giving me an ulcer...and making it hard to sleep! While I realize that, in the grand scheme of things, gaining acceptance this year isn't the be all and end all, I am going to do meds somewhere/sometime and dread having to go through this process again anytime soon prior to the whole CARMs ordeal!

McGill...you know, I'd be there in a flash. I'm not sure if you recall from any of my previous posts, however, I was born and lived in Montreal (I grew up in Town of Mount Royal and also 'did some time' in the NDG area during University) until I was in my late teens...we then moved to Ottawa...then back to Montreal...then back to Ottawa...I really miss "La Belle Province".

I wish I had a crystal ball...the worst thing is...as many of others have mentioned...one day I'm sure I'm going to get in...the next second I literally recall something that occurred during my interview which didn't go as planned or as smoothly as I would have liked and conclude that there's no chance in he$$ that I'll get an offer. One example...I've been working for the past 12 years (since I graduated from my masters program) and therefore much of my interview focused on this...I really would have liked to talk more about my extracurriculars...I am so balanced but time ran out and I didn't get to tell the interviewers about my musical abilities, sports, prestidigitation, fine cooking, fishing, waterskiing, etc., etc., etc.

Anyway, hopefully I will get in this year...I am so keen and believe I have the depth and breadth required to make a significant and unique contribution to my fellow classmates and, in the long run, to the field of medicine and patient health and happiness.

Perhaps the next time I'm in Montreal, which is frequent, you can give me a tour of McGill's medical school and then we can go for a beer and a souvlaki somewhere?

Peter

Guest U of O med

No problemo Peter, anytime.

And along the same lines as the Medicator007, I wish you the best of luck as well.

See you in September!

Guest PeterHill0501

U of O med...,

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> See you in September! <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Perhaps you've got inside information ;) ? Maybe you're the crystal ball I've been looking for! I sincerely hope to see you in september...and the first hundred beers or so will be on me!

Peter

Guest medicator007

Peter,

I totally understand the whole "one second im in and the next im not cycle" that you are going through. You proceed to analyze every minute detail of ur interview and file and mentally compare it against all these faceless other applicants. I think what helped me the most was knowing that the file the adcom was the best i could have done. I didnt think UI could have worked harder for the MCAT or studied longer in my undergrad. I knew that one day I would be practicing medicine and that if I didnt get in this time, it was due to those intangible elements of the admissions process and not because I didn't deserve it.

Just an FYI, thanks to a certain mayor and premier your beloved TMR no longer exists. Now the bloody Borough of Mont-Royal and NDG is now called the Borough of NDG/Snowdon/Cote des Neiges....mergers!! :(

Lastly, once i get into the groove of medical school it would be an honour to give you a tour of the school. However, souvlaki over smoked meat? Peter...say it aint so?!

Cheers,

Medicator007

Guest PeterHill0501

medicator007,

Thanks again for the support...it is, in a funny kind of way, reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who feels a bit bipolar in these days of waiting...

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Just an FYI, thanks to a certain mayor and premier your beloved TMR no longer exists. Now the bloody Borough of Mont-Royal and NDG is now called the Borough of NDG/Snowdon/Cote des Neiges....mergers!!<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I heard about this merger thing...what a pity...Borough?

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> However, souvlaki over smoked meat? Peter...say it aint so?!<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Oooooooooooooooops...you see, I've already been away from Montreal for too long! You're absolutely right...smoked meat it will be! Actually, the souvlaki in Ottawa really sucks...I do miss the great greek food in Montreal. As it turns out...the souvlaki also sucks in Ottawa...but that's another story!

Congratulations on your acceptance...I do look forward to meeting you one of these days.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest medicator007

peter,

not to worry we all are/were going through this bipolar phase. Perhaps we can get it in the DSM 4? Heck if luteal phase disphoric disorder is in, why not med admissions bipolar disorder (MABD)?.... keep ur chin up cuz many of us are in ur corner!

As for the borough, in an attempt to not completely slap all the suburbs in the face most of the old suburbs have been turned into borough with some of the smaller ones being grouped into larger ones (i.e Borough of Cote St. Luc-Hampsted-Montreal West)...

PHEW....glad to see u've come to your senses with respect to the food situation. SMOKED MEAT is one of the many food sources that make montreal a great city. As a bid to ease ur MABD symptoms permit me to list some of the many great food sources ur missing out on:

- Bagels (St. Viateur, Fairmount)

- Smoked Meat ( Schwartz's, Ben's)

- Cosmo's breakfast ( u were an NDGer right!)

- Souvlaki and gyros ( Arahova and the such)

Hope these fond memories take ur mind off the waiting process, feel free to reminisce with me about montreal food and other great attributes of the city!

Now i have a hankering for some of the above listed food. Alas there are no real Smoked Meat joints ni my coverage sector, but there is an arahova's nearby :) , quick to the souvlakimobile (aka my ambulance)... ok im off

Guest PeterHill0501

medicator007,

Now I'm really hungry...we actually have decent bagels here...one of the old cooks (old literally and old as in 'ex') from St. Viateur is the new bagel cook at "The Bagel Shop" which is on Wellington street, just a 15 minute walk from where I live (I live a two blocks behind the Ottawa Civic Hospital).

Smoked meat...man...Ottawa smoked meat is more akin to the stuff you buy vacuum-packed at Loblaws...yuckky. Souvlaki...is sort of like the meat was taken from a starving lamb...gyros...mmmm greek hotdogs...no thanks...but we do have the "Schwarma Nazi" on Elgin street...the best Schwarmas anywhere...

Not to be a food snob or anything...having been employed for the past 13 years or so, I actually don't often eat fast food these days...Ottawa and the Hull regions have some excellent restaurents...so I save my calories to savour some nice "Moules et Frites" and creme brule...

Talk to you soon...and again, thanks for the interesting discussions...I look forward to more.

Peter

Guest medicator007

Its funny all the bagel cooks from st. viateur keep on popping up all over the planet. ottawa, miami, toronto.... still no comparison to the original.

Just grabbed a nice souvlaki from arahova for lunch only to be disturbed in my consumption by a 30 something female with palpitations on the other side of town.

Be well,

Medicator007

Guest U of O med

Peter,

Unfortunately no insider info!! These are the worst months you will will have to go through for a little while. I found that a lot of positivity and optimism went a long way for my mental health!

About the hundred beers!? What are we going to do for week two of frosh??? HAHAHA

Guest James Wong

Okay, I`ve been through my hundred beers! Now what! (still haven`t found the question mark on this keyboard).

James

Guest PeterHill0501

Hey James,

I recently exchanged some private e-mail with your lab partner...they seemed very nice...I suggested the three of us go out for a few drinks sometime prior to the 31...any thoughts?

Peter

Guest James Wong

Hey Peter,

My Biochem lab partner from this semester, LA (question mark). Or from another lab (question mark). Either way though, I can cause I`m studying French here in Trois Rivieres (which explains why I can`t find the question mark on these damn keyboards).

But have a beer for me when/if you guys go.

James

Guest PeterHill0501

James,

Je suis heureux d'entendre que vous étudiez le français… que c'est amusement, n'est-ce pas? Je souhaite que vous bien sur votre effort d'apprendre ce nouveau langage… si tout va bien vous fassiez quelques amis en même temps.

Le collègue que j'ai rencontré a la première initiale de "M". Peut-être nous pouvons attendre jusqu'à ce que vous reveniez de votre voyage avant de sortir pour des bières. J'espère que tout va bien avec vous et votre chum. Je souhaite que vous avez bonne chance dans le processus d'admissions… me relâchiez que un E-mail m'a fait connaître quelle lettre vous obtenez d'Ottawa… je ferai la même chose.

Si vous n'êtes pas de retour à l'heure pour des bières… moi promettez que nous aurons un pour vous!

Votre ami,

Pierre Colin

Did someone say beer?

And James, its me, your freakishly tall, redhaired, elderly lab partner from Molecular Bio - how many of those do you have?

Too bad you won't be here for beer, I could really use the distraction. The wait is killing me.

Guest UWOMED2005

The shawarma nazi? (Not to be a spelling nazi, but I believe "shawarma" is the correct spelling) Man I miss that place. . . last time I was there was with Jutz (James should know who I mean by that) on New Year's eve. Always great to hit the shawarma nazi after a night out at Lieutenant's pump, the Bytown tavern (great Saturday night Karoake. . .) or the Firestation.

Wow - you guys are making me homesick. Ten more days and I'm finished exams. I should be able to hit Ottawa soon after that!

Guest PeterHill0501

UWOMED2005,

I bow to your superior spelling bee abilities...

Hey, drop me an e-mail when you get into town...I'd love to meet you at minglewoods sometime. You forgot to mention the bulldog...one of the best university crowd bars around...somewhat different experience than the Bytown, Lieutenant's Pump or the Fox and Feather... :)

Peter

Guest James Wong

Oh my! I didn`t think that I`d see you MN on the board, I guess you finally had something to say! (should that surprise me (question mark). MN, I wouldn`t worry about yoru acceptance too much, never forgot that Queen`s interview!! You can`t buy that kind of good fortune!

Peter, mes couriels son les seuls media que j`ai le droit de utiliser l`anglais alors je prendrai cette opportunité. Je ne savais pas que tu parlais si bien. Moi, je suis bilingue mais je dois améliorer ma grammaire.

UWO2005, I haven`t talked to Jutz in over 3 years, but I think I know about that New Year`s Eve that you guys shared. Hey! I`ve got some sad news that you probably have missed being out of town. The Dunvegan has closed it`s doors forever! One less rugby pub! :( Sucks, I know, but at least the Shawarma Nazi is still around. Peter and I were there earlier this month....where else can you buy fallafel at 4am (question mark). BTW if anyone can tell me where to find the question mark on a French keybaord, I`d really appreciate it!

James

MN, do you know if Gabriel belled the Metabolism marks (question mark)

Guest UWOMED2005

Dunvegan? Where was that - I don't remember ever watering at that hole. That's not the pub in Sandy Hill where we did that rugby social back when I was playing LCI - no wait, I think that was Drumlin's.

Yeah I still see the Jutz every time I go back. He hangs out with my buddy Coops, and I'm friends with his sister as well. Actually, Coops worked Parks with a bunch of the guys who were in your year at LCI. . . I quite often hit Minglewoods with those guys when I'm in town. One of those guys (rather not publish his name online) is actually applying to Meds this year - he had interviews at U of O & Western. He actually crashed at my place for the interview here, though his first choice is U of O.

Peter - I'd love to hook up with you for a beer for sure next time in town. I don't think I've ever hit up the Bulldog. Lieutenant's Pub, the Royal Oaks and the Fox and the Feather are more my scene. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure when I'm going to be in town next (for reasons I'd rather not go into.) I'll send you an e-mail when I am going to be in Ottawa.

Guest PeterHill0501

UWOMED2005

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Lieutenant's Pub, the Royal Oaks and the Fox and the Feather are more my seen.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

UWOMED2005...it's a good thing your success in med school isn't dependent on your spelling! The bulldog is not actually my preferred venue either (I'm with you on the OAK, Fox and Feather, etc), however, there's a lot more to be "seen" at the bulldog than other "seens". :smokin Sorry...I couldn't resist...I'd be fine meeting anywhere for drinks and fun...the good point about the bulldog is that it is literally right next door to the schwarma nazi...just a short stumble away from a good schwarma and then another short stumble away from a cab on elgin!

With respect to why you don't know when you'll be home...I hope all is well with you...your loved ones...and school...

Peter

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

Thanks for the heads-up on the spelling! Kind of distracted by exams.

I'll e-mail you next time I'm in the Ottawa area. . .

Archived