Premed 101 Forums

Thinking American Schools

• 3 weeks later...

I just wish I am incorrect. But if my information is correct, every medicine school in State look for cGPA of the applicant. In other words, they will also look at your first undergraduate program in GPA calculation. If this is correct.. I think it is almost impossible to get into State meds..

I just wish I am incorrect. But if my information is correct, every medicine school in State look for cGPA of the applicant. In other words, they will also look at your first undergraduate program in GPA calculation. If this is correct.. I think it is almost impossible to get into State meds..

Not true for all schools.

Also, in the US, you have the luxury of sending a letter explaining your circumstances and many adcoms will take that into consideration.

A 3.9 GPA and a 35 MCAT should be good enough to gain admission to med school somewhere in the US or Canada, regardless of a 1st degree gone wrong.

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Terrible first degree gpa.

Comp Sci: 2.65 (calculus and certain comp sci courses killed me)

Second degree: Economics, 3.7

My cGPA at best is 3.0. I have not done my sciences yet; even if I get a 3.8+, my cGPA will be no where near good enough for North American schools. Unless my mature status, career history, stronger second degree gpa, hopefully very strong sciences and then ignoring my first degree gpa, I'll be applying to SGU or SABA. The offshore schools are not the end of the world, just not ideal. My goal is IM (leading to Cardiology) or Pathology.

Let me know if you learn what schools might offer some forgiveness for first degree gpa's.

There is a "second degree" thread here:

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47067

All of these have caveats:

McGill only looks at 2nd degree

UofOttawa looks at last 3 yrs

Queens, of course, looks at last 2 yrs

UBC is changing things up, check back in mid-Jan 2011

UofT has "special consideration"

There is more too... check the sticky

Not true for all schools.

Also, in the US, you have the luxury of sending a letter explaining your circumstances and many adcoms will take that into consideration.

A 3.9 GPA and a 35 MCAT should be good enough to gain admission to med school somewhere in the US or Canada, regardless of a 1st degree gone wrong.

Really? Do you mind if you tell me those schools? I am looking for all possibilities to get into meds.

I have just applied to 13 schools in the States after being rejected last year from Queens and Western (reapplied this year)

Here are my stats OMSAS - cGPA 3.55

best 2 years OMSAS - 3.71

MCAT - 31Q 11/11/9

Didn't get into UWO because of the 9 VR. Took my chances with the states this year. Found 20 schools that have accepted Canadian and international students in the past (this is key as many schools do not accept international students) do your research! you may need to purchase books from AAMC which detail info about each medical school ( this is what I did)

When I applied through the AMCAS website my cGPA changed dramatically

it was now 3.71 (they use a different conversion scale than OMSAS) this differs depending on the University you attend. I went to UWO. the scale converted to my advantage.

Sooo with a 3.71 cGPA and my MCAT scores I am competetive at several schools.

I already have an interview at Indiana University school of medicine next week and at Howard University in 2 weeks.

For someone who literally thought my chances of getting into the US or Canada were slim to none I am very pleased to have 2 interviews.

The lesson I learned is this, getting into the States is 100 times more likely than Canada as each school requires you to submit a secondary application and they take much more than your stats into consideration.

With you current stats I am sure you will get into the States (or maybe a Canadian school that will ignore your first degree)

The key is to apply everywhere take your chances. Most people don't even apply, I applied everywhere inlcuding Harvard - you never know. Many of the ivey league school do not have cut off averages - you get a chance to explain your story in the essay.

Hey Nwhyte, Congrats on the interviews. My primary goal is to get into US medical schools and like you my initial gpa won't be as competitive. Along with some MCAT logistical issues, I don't think i'll be able to apply this cycle. I am currently in my third year. Thus if i apply next year, I will have to have something to do during the year I am waiting after my 4th year. Any suggestions as to what you did during that time? Have had two Undergrads? Or did you pursue a Masters? Thanks in advance and again congrats for the interviews, I hope to hear good news soon :)

Archived