Premed 101 Forums

Applying to Ottawa next year

Guest Liana

Guest Liana

I'm looking into applying to Ottawa next year, but alas, I can't install Acrobat reader on this computer, and so I'm finding it difficult to find out about the admissions requirements without being able to read PDF files. I do apologize for asking the obvious.

Can someone tell me the formula Ottawa uses for calculating GPA? Is it true that the cutoff for interviews is around 3.85 or so, for non-Ottawa, non-Francophone applicants? Is this lowered for grad applicants (not that I am a grad student, but I may be one eventually.. :) )

One other question - I understand that Ottawa's curriculum is highly computer-based (which I think is great!) How do the online aspects of the curriculum integrate with classroom or group learning exercises? That is, does Ottawa make use of traditional lecture-based teaching methods, or incorporate PBL methods?

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere, but any info is appreciated!

Here's how Ottawa's WGPA (weighted GPA) is calculated.

For 3rd year applicants:

WGPA = [(2nd year GPA * 2) + (1st year GPA)]/3

For 4th year applicants:

WGPA = [(3rd year GPA * 3) + (2nd year GPA * 2) + (1st year GPA)] / 6

If you're a graduate student, I'm not sure exactly what they do, but I heard something about how you must have an A or better in EVERY single course you take in grad school.

And the cutoff for anglo-Ontarians that aren't from the Ottawa region or an underserved area is usually in the 3.8 range from what I remember.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there JD,

Just to elaborate, apparently Ottawa requires (at least they did last year) that grad applicants have 85% or above on each and every graduate course.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

You can enter the url of any pdf file here;

access.adobe.com/simple_form.html

(You can glean the url by right clicking on a pdf link, and selecting 'Copy Shortcut')

in the case of ottawa admissions it is;

www.medicine.uottawa.ca/admissions.pdf

Anyhoo, put that pdf url into the form on the simple_form.html and you can view the pdf file without Adobe Acrobat installed.

enjoy,

-will

Archived