Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia electives!

• 3 weeks later...

any suggestions for 4th year electives after anesthesia? seems like everybody does ICU but the ICU elective at UBC isn't very good I hear. I'm guessing any CCU, respirology electives would be good...anything else?

And i haven't had success in other threads but does anybody know what type of scenarios are asked during interviews? are they ethical or OR based or just totally random?

I actually had an awesome UBC ICU rotation as a 4th year med student. Tons of procedures, great teaching. No complaints at all really.

As for anesthesia electives, I can also vouch for having a great experience at UBC and U of C (Foothills is great if you can get it).

Respirology and CCU might be other electives to consider.

Cheers,

UBCmed09

I actually had an awesome UBC ICU rotation as a 4th year med student. Tons of procedures, great teaching. No complaints at all really.

As for anesthesia electives, I can also vouch for having a great experience at UBC and U of C (Foothills is great if you can get it).

Respirology and CCU might be other electives to consider.

Cheers,

UBCmed09

I'm wondering if during your U of C Foothills elective whether you were with a couple preceptors, or someone new everyday. If you get a new preceptor everyday is it hard to get letters for CaRMS? Thanks!

Was at Royal Columbian Hospital for my UBC elective.

At Foothills, generally with a new staff each day but scheduling was done by one of the senior residents and so just sent them an email if I was hoping to work another day with anyone in particular. I found 2 good days was sufficient to ask for a letter.

Hope that helps,

UBCmed09

thanks ubcmed09! Are you an anesthesia resident now? If so how have you liked it so far? I really liked anesthesia as a clerk but i'm not sure if i can commit myself to a 5 year residency...looking for some insight!

Also can you shed some light on whether all gas interviews are scenario based like ubc? Thanks again.

Archived