Premed 101 Forums

Frustrated. Am I just dumb?

fastnfrosty

I keep getting more and more and more and more frustrated with this mcat. I just dont understand what it is. Im in the middle of my third year and voided the mcat this past summer. Ive been studying for it on and off. And everytime I do a practice test, I get more frustrated and annoyed. I am just starting to think that im an idiot. Im supposed to write it on the 28th of Jan (but i guess I could reschedule it, I needed). I just did a practice test and got a P(10) V(8) B(10). The verbal is just stuck and WILL NOT MOVE. Same thing with the physical.

I have a good grasp of the material (or thats what I think). I just have a problem when I need to apply it in new situations. What should I do????

I keep getting more and more and more and more frustrated with this mcat. I just dont understand what it is. Im in the middle of my third year and voided the mcat this past summer. Ive been studying for it on and off. And everytime I do a practice test, I get more frustrated and annoyed. I am just starting to think that im an idiot. Im supposed to write it on the 28th of Jan (but i guess I could reschedule it, I needed). I just did a practice test and got a P(10) V(8) B(10). The verbal is just stuck and WILL NOT MOVE. Same thing with the physical.

The second bold statement nullifies the first.

I have a good grasp of the material (or thats what I think). I just have a problem when I need to apply it in new situations. What should I do????

This is easily remedied by practice.

Buy a book of MCAT practice problems or simply use general practice problems related to the areas you struggle in. This will give you confidence when you approach a question with an unfamiliar design.

Also practice your verbal reasoning strategy. I got a 7 or something equally appalling on my first practice test then got a 12 on the real deal.

You seem fine to me.

Relax young one.

Really, it sounds like your biggest problem is test anxiety and not having confidence in your abilities. Your score is certainly not horrible, and you are not an idiot! You just need to keep practicing. That's the only way to improve. Don't feel bad about yourself. Good luck!

A 10 is PS is solid. Recently, Canadian schools haven't put much weight into PS. A PS score of 10 is good enough for every Canadian med school.

For some people, doing well on verbal requires a lot of practice/familiarity with the types of questions that are asked and the time that is allotted for them. Have you tried EK's verbal practice passages? They are second only to the AAMC's verbal practice passages.

The EK passages are actually really good at replicating the question style and passage style of the real MCAT, i found that the answering strategy i was using for EK worked very well for the actual MCAT.

As for bumping up your PS and BS, I don't know if you took a course or not but Kaplan has a feature where it categorizes all of your questions into units within the subject (eg. equilibrium in gen chem) and passage versus discreet questions.. I found it was really helpful for spotting which areas were giving me trouble and where i needed to spot improve instead of wasting time covering material i already know well.

If you dont have a summary like that i suggest going through a practise test yourself and manually figuring out what parts of each subject you score low in and then focussing on those areas.

+1 for Exam Krackers for VR, I highly recommend.

That was the only prep I did for VR and got a sweet score.

When you get Qs wrong, make sure to flip to the back and read why your answer is not the best option, you will learn the "tricks" of mcat VR

PS. You will probably find that your real mcat score will be higher than any of your practice mcat scores!

my last 5 practice tests on verbal were 7, 7, 7, 7, 7. No matter what, it just wouldn't go up.

You may be hoping that this post is going to lead into an insightful advice as to how I turned that 7 into a 14, but sadly it isn't. I accepted the fact that a 7 was as high as my brain could handle verbal reasoning and went on with my life. You can imagine how thrilled I was when I got an 8 on my actual test.

Archived