Premed 101 Forums

MMA thread

jp.mylittlepwny

On paper Silva/Belfort seems to be an amazing stand up war. I believe that he's the only striker to date who has the hand speed fast enough to challenge silva. I believe that Belfort will start the round throwing strikes, and he's not getting through he may try to take it to the ground for GnP. I don't see him utilizing his bjj much. Not many fighters have equally established ground and stand up games except for fedor, penn, and gsp is getting there.

Sonnen sounds like such a shadey character now that information of his past have began to surface. I don't know where I stand on his 'testosterone replacement therapy' scandal. You'd think someone would disclose this information openly before competing for an organization(lol overeem) that routinely tests for performance enhancing drugs =/

You believe the Ubereem hype?

I don't.

Before he got all jacked on steroids, he was barely worth mentioning in both mma and k-1. After he got jacked on steroids, i started to notice him more in the k-1 scene.

Who has he fought of notable ability in mma? No one, except possibly brett rogers. But brett rogers can't be called a mixed martial artist because he doesn't have a ground game, and hence the fight was pretty much k-1 with smaller gloves. And Ubereem is MASSIVE.

Notable cans crushed in the last three years: Lee Tae-Hyun, Tony Sylvester, Kazuyuki Fujita

Biggest win in the last three years: Brett Rogers

Last loss: Sergei Kharitonov (September 2007)

We'll see if he lives up to the hype when he faces in Werdum.

I still believe in Fedor as a top heavyweight. No one else, besides Penn and GSP is getting there, can utilize both their stand up and ground game effectively.

Overeem transformation

http://www.cagepotato.com/alistair-overeem-incredible-expanding-man

Putting on that amount of muscle is not an easy feat naturally. It takes much more time than a few years. I have an interest in bodybuilding and nutrition and from everything i've learned, seen, and experienced, all signs point to drugs. Not necessarily steroids, but possibly hgh as well.

You forget fedor's midair knockout of arlovski

Notable wins since 2006 - rogers, arlovski, silvia, matt lindland all via decision/ko. Fedor is not all hype, he has formidable talent. Dude beat Crocop while he was in his prime and most of it was stand up. Two full 10 minute rounds of non-stop action. One of the most memorable mma fights ever.

I'd like to see a fedor/barnett final as well. Should be exciting.

You're right, he hasn't tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. This does not rule out that he doesn't do PEDs either.

Case and point Marion Jones and her multiple gold medals at the olympics. Did not test positive, yet confessed to PEDs.

In the case of Ubereem, use your eyes and judge for yourself. Especially in the area of PED since the system is always behind the science.

Well let's wait to the events take place. I'm just so freakin excited that strikeforce is putting this together. Reminds me of the goldens days of PRIDE FC. This would not be possible for UFC to pull off, as they don't have a deep enough talent pool in the heavy weight division.

Lesnar is a great example of what I condemn Overeem for. Lesnar practically dominated the heavyweight division with the huge gap in size and strength that exists between him and his opponents. None of his opponents that fell before him came close to his size.

Once he was put into a unfavourable position and took a few hits, he wasn't able to handle it and waited for the ref to stop the punishment. I'm not saying he doesn't have any skill, but skill/ability was not the dominant factor that won him fights.

I'm more forgiving of the guys in the lower weight divisions because there is a cap to their weight class that's feasible for a normal human being to achieve. The opponents they were up against were of similar weight and body composition. What will determine the winner of those fights are skill and conditioning, not an unfair size advantage. Yes, I do realize that a LOT of fighters in the international mma scene use PEDs, that's too bad imo. I find lower weight division fights more exciting that the heavier ones

Now let's look at Overeem. Before he made the jump to the heavyweight division, he was a lower tier mma/k-1 fighter. Now that he's heavyweight he practically demolishes everyone he comes across in k-1. I haven't followed his mma career, but I haven't heard him taking out anyone who is well established in mma.

Fighters to look for in the WEC-UFC Merger

This article will be looking at elite fighters coming from WEC to their new home, the UFC. After Zuffa owned little sister of the Ultimate Fighting Championship merged there was many talks of possible new fights and what could happen to each division. WEC hosts only lighter weight fighters in three different divisions, the lightweight, featherweight and the bantamweight divisions.

Champions:

The Bantamweight division’s champion goes by the name of Dominick Cruz, the California born fighter is known for his great cardio and heavy hands for a 135lb fighter. He dethroned a tough Brian Bowles back at WEC: Bowles vs. Cruz on March 6th 2010 and has defended his belt once against a solid Joseph Benavides. This title defence marks his second defeat over Benavides. Cruz now must defend his glory against a very solid wrestler in Scott Jorgensen. The winner of this fight will be the UFC’s first ever bantamweight champion.

The Featherweight division is dominated by one man, Jose Aldo. Jose signed with the WEC in 2008 and his first fight took place on June 1st 2008. He has fought 6 times since then and has had his arm raised all 6 times, and only one fight went the distance, that was the Urijah Faber fight. However, I bet Faber wishes that fight didn’t go that far due to vicious leg strikes from Aldo leaving Urijah unable to walk post-fight. Jose Aldo is ranked by many in the Top 5 P4P fighters in the world and is with out a doubt the biggest name moving in the merger.

The Lightweight divisions champion is a very athletic man named Ben Henderson. Henderson much like Jose Aldo has only allowed one fight to go the distance, a fight that won fight of the night against a tough opponent in Donald Cerrone. That was also the fight he won the interim lightweight championship belt at. This set him up for a fight with Jamie Varner where Henderson won the lightweight championship belt after an impressive performance. Ben Henderson’s next test is a talented and motivated Anthony Pettis, the winner of this fight will fight the winner of current UFC LW champion Frankie Edgar and #1 contender Gray Maynard.

Notable fighters:

Bantamweight Division:

Urijah Faber

Urijah Faber is with out a doubt the poster boy of the WEC, he really put WEC’s name out there and was the champion for many years before losing the belt to Jose Aldo and dropping to the bantamweight division. He will be a force and a very large draw in his new home of the UFC. Faber holds a record of 24-4.

Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles holds notable wins over Damacio Page and Miguel Torres. Bowles lost his title to current champion Dominick Cruz. Brian Bowles is a well rounded fighter and can hold his own in the striking department or on the ground. He holds a record of 8-1.

Joseph Benavidez

Joseph Benavidez is a veteran of 7 fights in the WEC, his record stands at 5-2 awith both of those losses coming to current champion Dominick Cruz. Joesph is a short 5'4 but where he lacks in height he makes up for it with his conditioning, speed and accurate striking. Joseph is a force in the bantamweight and will make an impact without a doubt in the UFC. Joseph Benavidez holds a 13-2 record.

Scott Jorgensen

The current number one contender to challenge Dominick Cruz for the bantamweight belt. Scott has incredible wrestling and his conditioning is top notch. Expect Jorgensen to give Cruz a good run for the belt and make a name for himself in the new UFC division. Scott Jorgensen holds a record of 11-3.

Miguel Angel Torres

Formally known as the biggest threat in this once weak division Torres has lost two fights in a row before submitting Charlie Valencia to end his loss streak. Mind you his losses came to two excellent opponents in the aforementioned mentioned Brian Bowles and Joseph Benavidez. Torres is a tall bantamweight at 5‘9 and uses this to his advantage. Miguel Angel Torres is another big name and should make his stay in the UFC worth while. Torres holds an impressive record of 37-3.

Featherweight Division:

Mike Brown

This man shocked the world when beating Urijah Faber in their bout on November 5th 2008. However much like Frankie Edgar after his defeat of BJ Penn, he proved the world wrong twice defeating Faber for the second time 7 months later and greatly proving he belongs with the best in the 145 division. He was immediately fed to Jose Aldo who much like most of his other opponents he stopped early in the second round. With a win in his last fight he is still in the 145 mix. Mike Brown holds a record of 24-6.

Manny Gamburyan

Manny Gamburyan has been called inconsistent for a few years now, and this is the exact reason he was cut from the UFC the first time. When he got to the WEC he pulled things together and posted a 3-0 record before stepping in front of the wrecking machine that is Jose Aldo. Manny Gamburyan is always a threat and is a hard worker, I feel he could pose a threat in the UFC. Manny Gamburyan holds a record of 13-6.

Josh Grispi

Josh Grispi saw him challenging Jose Aldo for his belt at UFC 125 before Jose was forced to pull out with a spine injury. Grispi utilizes his size and reach advantage almost perfectly in his fights. When it comes to a #1 contender, there is no doubt that Josh Grispi is the perfect candidate to try to dethrone Aldo. Grispi holds a record of 14-1.

Chad Mendes

Chad Mendes is a talented wrestler with great speed in his hands, he has fought 4 times in the WEC with a perfect 4-0 record with the promotion. Chad Mendes is a threat to any opponent and holds a 9-0 record in his MMA career.

Chan Sung Jung

Known as “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung is a very exciting fighter as is most popularly known for his war with Lenard Garcia which was highly regarded was one of the best MMA fights in history. Chan Sung Jung is a very exciting fighter and is also talented. Expect him to make an impact in the UFC. Chan Sung Jung holds a record of 10-3

Lightweight Division:

Donald Cerrone

Donald “The Cowboy” Cerrone is possibly the most popular LW in the WEC and for a good reason, he is talented and his cowboy attitude usually puts him in the victory column. Cerrone is the former LW champion of the WEC and it is possible that one day he will hold the prestigious title again in the UFC. However, the UFC’s strongest division is the lightweight division. This should be an interesting mix. Donald Cerrone hold a record of 12-3 and 1 NC.

Chris Horodecki

Chris Horodecki is a young talented Canadian fighter who made a great impact in the WEC during his time with the promotion. He will be a very marketable fighter and always puts on a good show. If Horodecki takes things slow he may be a force in this division one day. Chris Horodecki holds a record of 15-2.

Anthony Pettis

Anthony Pettis is the #1 contender for this WEC lightweight belt and will meet with Ben Henderson to see who will be fighting the winner of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard. Anthony “Showtime” Pettis earned his title shot after knocking out Danny Castillo with a vicious head kick. Pettis is explosive and has incredible striking power. Anthony Pettis holds a record of 10-1.

Jamie Varner

Jamie Varner is almost never in a boring fight. With three of his 4 losses coming to elite fighters in Hermes Franca, the current champion Ben Henderson and Donald Cerrone. Varner is very well rounded and possesses very accurate striking that can put anybody in the LW division out. Jamie Varner has a career record of 16-4-3 with 2 NC.

Kamal Shalorus

Kamal Shalorus has incredible wrestling and transitions it to MMA perfectly. If he is put down he has good BJJ to fall back on. He is undefeated in his career and is a great threat to the UFC’s LW division. Kamal Shalorus holds a career record of 6-0-2.

Written by Andrew Castro (Intermission)

Well Rampage didn't teach anything either. The official coaches position is just to hype the fighters and keep tv viewers. They'll bring in their coaches and considering that Lesnar has some good coaches like Paulson, he's got a shot.

And although Lesnar is one-dimensional, he can help with the wrestling; he is a NCAA Div. 1 champion after all.

Only problem is he is 290 lbs and they are 170. Its hard to teach anything at that weight difference.

Wait. The new seasons isn't heavyweights?

No its Welterweights.

My wrestling coach was 250lbs in high school and he taught well. Remember, coach doesn't necessarily mean training partner although it can.

True although someone needs to preform the techniques and it prob won't work with that size difference but we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived