Premed 101 Forums

Too early to buy books?

magicant

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying my MCAT books, however I do not plan on writing the test until a year later in the summer of 2012. I found a few deals online that I do not want to pass up and I also want to get the buying process over with as some of them may take a while to arrive (i.e. TBR), and therefore not delay myself in my studies for the MCAT. Are there any downsides to this (newer editions of books coming out, etc.)? Or is that fine? Thanks!

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying my MCAT books, however I do not plan on writing the test until a year later in the summer of 2012. I found a few deals online that I do not want to pass up and I also want to get the buying process over with as some of them may take a while to arrive (i.e. TBR), and therefore not delay myself in my studies for the MCAT. Are there any downsides to this (newer editions of books coming out, etc.)? Or is that fine? Thanks!

I don't have a total answer for you because I'm in the same boat BUT:

Kaplan has a deal to buy their Ebook reviews online for free right now (if you sign up stating your american) and you may have some luck at torenting/p2p sites...

To answer your question (sorta) if you plan to take some of the classes still that will be covered by those books it can always help you prep for the course.

I took a brief look at those ebooks, but aren't those only for the iPad, sony ereader, and NOOKcolor? I don't have any of those so would they still be of use? Also, I am not interested in doing a class, just want to do independent learning.

I don't either... But I clicked the the sony one which sends you to where you can download a free ereader program for your comp and then you can dl the books and read them on there. (the program is like how itunes is used to put music on ipods but can also play music on your computer... just ereader and books instead of music and ipod)

My opinion would be that it's not too early if you've found a good deal. And you should definitely get the free Kaplan ebooks in case you end up wanting them. Just download the sony ereader app and you can read them on your computer. It's worth doing.
This would be my advice as well.

I actually bought a couple MCAT books during my first year and planned to start preparing early. I ended up taking a course with Kaplan (which I find to be quite a waste of money) during the summer of my second year and never really used the books I bought. Again, that's just me. But I find it is very difficult to study for a massive standardized test like MCAT while taking regular classes. You should get the ebooks like others said. It's free, and will probably come in handy.

Get EK verbal reasoning.

I'm opposite to FA in terms of whether or not a course is useful, but to each his own. If you do end up taking a course they will send you another set of books anyways. I personally think that if you're waiting until Summer 2012, don't bother buying the books now. You'll probably just leave them to collect dust while you get caught up in life and other classes etc.

Wait until the summer when you're fully prepared to dedicate time to the MCAT and then just do it. Skimming bits and pieces here and there isn't going to help you much at all, especially if you're taking science courses in school anyway.

Sounds good. Yeah I am not planning on skimming over the books or anything, it just that some of them are either being offered at a great price or they'll more readily available (i.e. I have someone in the states willing to have TBR books delivered to them and then drop them off directly to me to save money on shipping), so I just wanted to have them in possession so that they would be readily available when it came time to study for the MCAT. I was just merely worried about what the above poster alluded to in the sense that newer editions made available would put me at a disadvantage with my older ones. Thanks a lot btw for all the input!

Newer editions dont generally change too much, so you definitely wouldn't be at any tangible disadvantage. I'm sure the same deals will pop up when you're thinking about getting them in the future so invest your money in some penny stocks, grow it exponentially, then come back and buy the books later :D

Archived