Premed 101 Forums

Please advise: any hope at all

Hi, I am un-traditional as I had a MD from other country, immigrate to Canada 7 years ago, did my Master in basic science here in Canada, have worked since graduation 4 years ago. I have no publication( I know, it's a shame, but the paper has been submitted waiting for more results), I have years of basic research experience and work as a clinical research person for some clinical trials at uofC right now. I worked for 2 MD at foothills hospital, plus my Master supervisor, I should have very good reference letter.

My GPA from under is bad as 3.32, about the same for my Master.

Very little volunteering in Canada, since I have a family to support and a new born last year. But I did join the choir, and go visit the nursing home and sing for them for 4 years, that's my biggest commitment. I do have some back in my country, when I am still at school, but that's barely possible to track it, which I am not sure even I write it down in the application, they will count those.

extra: I was a leader in student union back in my country, modeling, singing, basketball, soccer, very active and some rewards, but again, not in Canada.

I did modeling when I did my master here, that should be something.

I haven't go for MCAT yet, will go for a prep course for that for sure, hope will get as high as I can.

That's all, any chance to get in meds at all??? many many thanks for any input and advise!

Hi, I am un-traditional as I had a MD from other country, immigrate to Canada 7 years ago, did my Master in basic science here in Canada, have worked since graduation 4 years ago. I have no publication( I know, it's a shame, but the paper has been submitted waiting for more results), I have years of basic research experience and work as a clinical research person for some clinical trials at uofC right now. I worked for 2 MD at foothills hospital, plus my Master supervisor, I should have very good reference letter.

Very little volunteering in Canada, since I have a family to support and a new born last year. But I did join the choir, and go visit the nursing home and sing for them for 4 years, that's my biggest commitment. I do have some back in my country, when I am still at school, but that's barely possible to track it, which I am not sure even I write it down in the application, they will count those.

extra: I was a leader in student union back in my country, modeling, singing, basketball, soccer, very active and some rewards, but again, not in Canada.

I haven't go for MCAT yet, will go for a prep course for that for sure, hope will get as high as I can.

That's all, any chance to get in meds at all??? many many thanks for any input and advise!

If you have an MD, look into IMG.

Yes, you may have a small chance. If you were to do well on the MCAT and then apply to the University of Calgary (as an Alberta resident) you may get in.

I would think it really would be a small chance though. Your best option would be to talk directly to admissions. Call them and set up an appointment (probably over the summer) where you could determine whether it'd be possible.

If you are set on entering medicine, there are a few things you could do to improve your chances. The first would be to do a second undergraduate degree and to do really well in it (GPA > 3.7, the higher the better). While in this degree, you would want to load up on extracurricular activities. So you're looking at 2-4 years, depending on whether courses transfer.

Yes, you may have a small chance. If you were to do well on the MCAT and then apply to the University of Calgary (as an Alberta resident) you may get in.

I would think it really would be a small chance though. Your best option would be to talk directly to admissions. Call them and set up an appointment (probably over the summer) where you could determine whether it'd be possible.

If you are set on entering medicine, there are a few things you could do to improve your chances. The first would be to do a second undergraduate degree and to do really well in it (GPA > 3.7, the higher the better). While in this degree, you would want to load up on extracurricular activities. So you're looking at 2-4 years, depending on whether courses transfer.

thanks alot for your advise, I have already talked to Adele, basically she won't say you have no chance or better chance, no guarantee right? And she told me if you don't try to apply you would never know. that's about it.

I am currently applying for RT program at SAIT as well, if I get in, maybe medicine later? but to gain a high GPA at RT, is difficult....

thanks alot for your advise, I have already talked to Adele, basically she won't say you have no chance or better chance, no guarantee right? And she told me if you don't try to apply you would never know. that's about it.

I am currently applying for RT program at SAIT as well, if I get in, maybe medicine later? but to gain a high GPA at RT, is difficult....

It's hard to gain a high GPA in many medical related fields. I'm in life sci at Queen's university and it's quite hard to get the 3.8+ necessary for meds. Probably fewer than 5-10% of the students in the program attain that GPA.

I think Adele is right. I mean the thing is, you do have a chance right now. You could get someone reviewing your file who is very sympathetic to your situation and gives you a shot to prove yourself in an interview.

It's just such a small chance that it's good to be thinking of doing something else first, with medicine as a "if everything works out right" type of scenario. I think you're on the right track by pursuing RT.

It's hard to gain a high GPA in many medical related fields. I'm in life sci at Queen's university and it's quite hard to get the 3.8+ necessary for meds. Probably fewer than 5-10% of the students in the program attain that GPA.

I think Adele is right. I mean the thing is, you do have a chance right now. You could get someone reviewing your file who is very sympathetic to your situation and gives you a shot to prove yourself in an interview.

It's just such a small chance that it's good to be thinking of doing something else first, with medicine as a "if everything works out right" type of scenario. I think you're on the right track by pursuing RT.

Also, after you apply if you don't get in they send you your stats (right?) then you can see where you fell short and make a plan of attack on how to go about imporoving these areas.

Archived