Premed 101 Forums

Update from Med 1

Guest YongQ

Hey everybody!

I realize this isn't the time of year to say this, but I might as well before I forget. In case you apply to a school this cycle and are waitlisted, don't give up until you see a rejection. One person from this year's class decided to leave med in the second or third week (I assume for issues unrelated to the quality of our school since my experience so far has been fantastic), and one lucky person got phoned up to join the class in the middle of September!

Guest ThUgJaAN

Yup, I heard that as well...somewhat good for all of you people that quit on the admissions process.

Hey YongQ, did you happen to catch the Fitz Feast on fri. afternoon?

I also want to share my positive experience with UofT so far;

The class is a really good group; not the traditional backstabbing hardcore, competative people from undergrad. Also, the demostraters and professors have been terrific in both answering your questions as well as relating some clincial context to what you have been learning. DOCH has been a bit of a 'yawner', but it should get much more exciting starting this week. ASCM is hands down my fav. part so far; such good experience right from first year...

All in all a ton of the myths about UofT being overly keen and competative are pretty much proving false so far. Most people work hard and get what they need done, but there are a ton of people that also get involvoed and have fun. For instance, we had 60-70 people sign up to play Div. II Volleyball!

So, if you are a premed, don't believe all of the hype you hear about UofT, and also don't lose hope if you happen to get the 'in between' waitlist responce.

Hi everybody,

I totally agree with everything you've said Thugjaan. It's perhaps going a little far to say that every class will be like this, but ours is lucky. In fact, I'm getting worried we don't have enough "keeners!" In Structure/Function and especially DOCH nobody ever occupies the first row (unless there are no other seats nearby and you walk in exceptionally late). And everyone I've spoken to in the past week is about 1-2 weeks behind in the lectures. The only thing with which people really keep up is the Gross Lab, because if you don't then you'll be embarrassed when you have to present your dissection. Other than that, it's been long hours but hard partying not too seldomly outside of those hours (for the 1st few weeks at least, I suspect it'll die down this month). About competitiveness, there is none. Lab groups share notes and dissection lists by e-mail. People from different labs come and present each other's dissections. There are study groups that are starting up. As far as extracurricular participation has gone, it's excellent here. The faculty works really hard to make anything you plan work, so it's easy to get involved in lots of extracurrics without having to do copious planning on the side. Right now I'm involved in 6 or 7, but 2 of them begin in the Spring.

Anyway, hope this dispels a few of the rumours some applicants have heard of UT.

Guest Akane200

Hi guys,

I'm glad the OT5's are enjoying their first year. It sounds really good (especially on the competitiveness side, or I should say lack thereof). The turn out in extra currics really show for OT5s. Although in my very biased opinion (those who know who I am will know why), none of the other extra currics really matter as much as the yearbook. It doesn't matter if you don't do anything else, just sign up for yearbook! :b :lol

As for competitiveness, I have to say it skips years (every other one, just one of the side effects of the selection process). So you're lucky you're in the fun loving nice year. I'm in the one of the more competitive crowds that they have had in years. :\ Oh well, there are advantages to that too.

DOCH, hee hee. I think I went to half the lectures last year. Hee hee, it gave me mornings/entire days off during second term. That's the reason why I love that course. :lol

Hey everyone,

I agree with Akane, there are just some years that are more competitive than others. But while it just might seem that your class is not as "keen" as in previous years, you guys have yet to have your first exam!! So let's just see if there's a shift in attitude in a week's time...

But so far, it looks as if OT5's are much more laid back than the OT4's.. the boat cruise was amazing.. :)

PS.. DOCH is fun, as long as you bring FOOD to survive the four hours haha!

(those who know me will figure out easily who I am...) ttyl

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the DOCH class is different for everybody. The lectures are a bit of a bore because it's 95% textbook and policy, however the field visits can get very interesting and didactic. My first experience was particularly amazing, as I got to see with my own eyes the problems I'd been hearing about all my life (+ their impact on peoples' lives) and during the first few months of school, e.g. bed sores, rheumatoid arthritis, breast cancer, perianal abscesses, etc. I can say truthfully that I'm looking forward to my next field visit (as long as it isn't too far a commute!).

Guest Akane200

Wow, I never thought that I would find anyone to get so excited about DOCH (ha ha ha....). I must admit that the field visits are cool (which was probably the only good part of the course), especially if you went out with the CCACs.

Just wait until you have to tie everything together to make your presentations, and that essay later on.

Lectures were all textbook and policy? It seemed more like propaganda to me last year. There were whole other sides of looking at issues that they neglected to mention too, plus many speakers invited seemed to be pushing their own politcal/social agendas. There wasn't enough real theory taught to adequately equip people without some sociology/economics background to analyse situations more fairly. That's only my opinion though; maybe they have improved. :) However, DOCH is an important concept, and the ideals behind teaching it to us is correct.

Archived