Premed 101 Forums

UT Essay

Guest UBCAndrew

Guest UBCAndrew

Hi, I was wondering how whether the essay should be focused entirely on the 7 questions that UT asks, or whether these should just be addressed in the essay. I'm of the mind that I should include autobiographical things about myself other than just what the questions ask, but then I'm worried that I won't have enough space to fully answer the questions. If I allow maybe 5 or 6 lines to answer a question, is that too little?

Guest BennyG

I would follow the instructions of the essay as much as possible. The questions are diverse enough that you can include different examples/experiences from your life.

I've heard (and experienced it for myself) that most people's first draft is too long and then they need to edit it down. I found it difficult enough just to answer each question in depth, without including extra stuff.

good luck!

My first draft was 50% too long, and it only addressed the questions... I can't see how I could possibly have managed to write some "extra" stuff as well. However, this might not be the same for everyone. Just keep in mind that 8000 characters is not a lot of space to answer those 7 questions, and if you write other things too, then you might not be expanding on your answers as much as you should.

I applied to U of T last year and was rejected. I was likely cutoff before they even looked at my essay. I think I wrote a decent essay, should I submit it again or will they have some way of knowing this and frown on it?

Guest Ian Wong

I seriously doubt they would remember. They've got enough work ahead of them just processing this year's applications without back-checking on last year's documents...

However, more importantly, unless you've been in hibernation over the last year, you must have had some experiences that you could use to augment your application. If you haven't done anything in the past year to improve your application, then why even re-apply? There's got to be something over the past year that you could use to improve upon last year's responses, or perhaps a better way of presenting yourself now that you've had an entire year to reflect on last year's attempt.

Don't waste this opportunity to beef up your application.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived