Premed 101 Forums

applying for masters program

hey guys, I am really interested in doing a masters degree next year and I have a few questions about it

do I have to have some research experience to be admitted to graduate school?

What are some important factors for admissions? (GPA? )

and I wanted to find a research job for this summer but I honestly have no idea where to start

any advice?

Hey Goolie,

I haven't applied for a Masters, or any Graduate program for that matter so I can't help you with the first two. But as for the third, I've gotten my research experience by simply going up to the professors of the subjects that I enjoyed, and asking them for any opportunities.

Some professors (World Famous Discoverers) are very selective in terms of volunteers, while others are willing to give everyone a chance. Thats the best way in my opinion to get started.

Even for research awards like NSERC and YROP you need to have an extremely competitive GPA and at least some past experience.

You could also chose a Research Based course in your uGrad. I'm not sure about your university, specifically but I'm sure there are Directed Research courses available for each program of study.

Hi Goolie,

To apply to graduate school, it is not absolutely necessary to have research experience....I know lots of people that are now in grad school who never did any research in their undergraduate. That being said, it is good to have that experience since it will give you something to talk about in your letter of intent and you can also use the prof that you do research for as a reference....so it is beneficial.

Graduate schools look at your GPA...usually last 2 or 3 years, they also focus on your letter of intent (where you can explain why you want to do a masters and why that particular field of research that you have chosen.....you really have to show them that you have the drive and the capacity to do research), reference letters are also important....

About looking for that research position, there are several ways you can do that:

- ask your professors (ones you took courses with) if they have opportunities in their labs....whether that is volunteering or paid position....its all about getting your foot in the door.

- check your schools' career centre postings....at my school, some profs post information about positions through the career centre

- As the about poster mentioned, you can also take some research based (i.e. completely lab based) courses in your undergraduate degree. My school has 2 such courses for my program and I took 1 of them....it was great! You get to learn all the techniques hands-on and interact with the professor in a smaller class setting so it was great!

- NSERC and other such things are very competitive....so you can give those a try if you wish.

- Another option is doing an undergraduate honours thesis project....this also gives you the opportunity to get involved in research and its great because its your own little project that you have to write a paper on and defend at the end of the year.....I am currently doing this and I can tell you that its great! You can try to go with this option if you have the time (but from your post, it seems like you are in your 4th year already).

For you, I think the best way to go with this would be to talk to the professors you know and one on one ask them if there is any position in their lab.....if there is any way you can help them in their research and be part of their research team. Many professors are extremely selective.....because as you can imagine, there are many undergrad students that are looking for such opportunities, so it would be good to approach professors you know, the ones you have done courses with and have done well in those courses!

Most importantly, start looking NOW....maybe even start off with volunteering in a lab now and that can even turn into a paid full-time position for the summer.

Good luck with your search!!

Hi goolie,

Here's my advice.

1. Do I have to have some research experience to be admitted to graduate school?

No. But it helps. More for your own sake to find out what research is like. Also, previous research experience makes your application more attractive for supervisors.

2. What are some important factors for admissions? (GPA?)

More importantly for GPA (since admission for some programs can be as low as 3.3) is FINDING A SUPERVISOR. In most cases, even if you have a lower GPA, if the supervisor sees potential, they can take you on. The department might require you to do an extra course, but the last word is the supervisor's. After all, they are the one's who are paying you.

3. I wanted to find a research job for this summer but I honestly have no idea where to start any advice?

Go up and start emailing / asking / door knocking. See what your course professors are doing. My first job was from my course professor. That got me in the door and set me up for another job. Asking never hurt anyone.

Finally, many programs offer the opportunity to do 6-8 week rotations through multiple labs before making you decide on which lab to join. See if this is available in the department you're interested in.

Good luck!

Archived