Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD program

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm curious to hear opinions on doing the MD/PhD program - for those who are currently doing it, your views would be greatly appreciated.

I'm particularly curious about how one would approach doing this at U of C because the MD program is only 3 years long.

Pros vs cons of the program?

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm curious to hear opinions on doing the MD/PhD program - for those who are currently doing it, your views would be greatly appreciated.

I'm particularly curious about how one would approach doing this at U of C because the MD program is only 3 years long.

Pros vs cons of the program?

it doesn't matter if the MD program is 3 years or 10 years. You never do both at the same time. The only requisite is that you do your clerkship in one block.

So, take a friend of mine for example. Started graduate studies, got accepted to the MD/PhD program. He sat on his MD acceptance for 4 years while he had fun doing a PhD. Now he will start the MD portion in the fall after he defends. Tuition is essentially covered, and if you get funding you can get paid for ALL the years of the program.

IMO (which is biased because I have already applied for this program) is that it is the bomb diggity if you are interested in a career in both clinical medicine and academic research.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about it more, or just hop in flashchat between like 10pm-12am any night. I'm usually lounging there and can talk about MD/PhD for eons.

Archived