Premed 101 Forums

Strange Stuff

Guest Gomer

Guest Gomer

Hello all,

I'd just like to share my disatisfaction with the U of T admissions process. I recently recieved my rejection (dated April 11) after a ridiculously long wait. The fact that I was rejected does not bother me as much as the circumstances surrounding my rejection. My OMSAS-converted GPA for U of T as a completed Honours BSc student is approximately 3.86, and MCAT scores of 9,9,10 and Q. I have numerous and diverse medically and non-medically related extracurricular activities, and I wrote a fairly strong autobiographical essay. As such, my general feeling was that I had credentials that at least met (and most likely exceeded) the minimums set forth by U of T. I suppose I was wrong.

The thing is that I have heard of and know a few applicants that have recieved interviews to U of T with lesser GPA/MCAT credentials, and with little to no practical extracurricular experiences (be it medically related or otherwise). Granted, I understand that GPA/MCAT are not the only deciding factors at play, however, U of T's process seems fairly biased towards academic selection factors over non-academic criterion.

Prompted by a curiosity to learn of the specific area of my application that was insufficient in gaining an interview, I have contacted the U of T Admissions Office and kindly asked them to elaborate on my rejection. Three days have passed with still no word. I am now considering contacting the Dean to ask my question.

This is my story. I simply want to hear of/know if anyone has had a similar experience at U of T, or any other medical school for that matter. My thinking is leading me to the paranoid conclusion that there may be a hidden agenda in their selection process that favours applicants from U of T, or other supposed "upper-crust" schools. I don't want to believe this, because their mission statement denounces such a bias in their selection process, but is it coincidental that the applicants that I know of that recieved interview calls with lesser credentials are undergrad U of T students? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Gomer

Truthfully I do not think they favor UT applicants. I know of people with 3.94 OMSAS converted GPA's who were rejected. Nobody knows how they work exactly.

Sorry to hear of your rejection. Hope other schools fare better.

Kate ;)

Guest Gomer

Thanks for your input Kate. Unlike some of the jack-asses that have been responding with the original and very informed "sour grapes" comment, I was simply looking for input to quell my own misgivings about the system.

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hello all,

It's a trying time for everyone. Although it's tempting, and you may think it feels quite grand letting it out on some unsuspecting fellow around the board, it would probably do better just to keep the negative or unconstructive criticism within the confines of a good run in the spring air or a good, belting aria in the shower.

Gomer, that really is a bummer re: your UT letter. I'm still awaiting mine. As to UT's black box of an Admissions Process, all that most of us can continue to do is hypothesize. However, interestingly, and I suppose, just fueling the growing collection of medical school myths, one of the first comments that my first year UT meds pal mentioned after her first week with her UT 2004 meds comrades this past year, was how many of them were previously UT students.

Keep your chin up,

Kirsteen

I have a funny feeling that the other kate is also going by the name jasmine....check out a post on the general discussion page-same time, similar comment!

kate#1 ;)

Guest Gomer

Don't worry, Kate. I wasn't fooled by that idiot's post (and obvious rudeness).

P.S. - Awesome and original spelling of the word "soar". I think it's spelled "sore" in the English language, dumb-ass.

Archived