Premed 101 Forums

R score qustion for premed

Harlequin

hey everyone. if you guys don't mind please take a moment to answer some of my questions please, cuz i feel a bit depressed right now.

I'm currently a Dawson student in Health Science in my first year (going into my second semester) and I just received my R Scores. I can't say I'm happy about it.

As far as I can tell, my overall R Score is 31.432, give or take a few decimals. Its really depressing since I know the minimum to apply for premed at McGill is currently 33-34? I do realize I should have a 35 to be on the safe zone, but since I'm going to be using my 1st,second and third semester Rscores to apply, it seems impossible. I could bring my English marks up (my teacher honestly HATED me) this semester if I tried hard enough. My overal Science R score is 32.767, which is bad for someone who's trying out for premed. I have to confess, i had a hard time with Mechanics, but i'm hping i'll do good with Bio I.

So, therefore I was wondering, do you guys think it's possible to bring it up high enough to apply? I'm willing to kill myself over the next 2 semesters to bring it up high enough.

As for my ECs... I'm from an IB program High School (francophone), so I do have a variety of community service hours under my wing and I volunteer at the MUHC since secondary 4 (although I had to stop last year since CEGEP life was hectic for me, but i'll be going back). I'll be a part of the First Response Team at Dawson starting this semester, I'm part of the staff at my school gym (GST and gamestaff), i'm thinking of peer tutoring for Cal I (the one subject I excelled in) and i'm in a club that wishes to build schools in poor countries.

I hope you guys can help me and thnks for stopping by to read this post, really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

JamiesNixon is absolutely right. Having 35 in the next 2 semesters is not easy at all, but it's not impossible. You need to study on a regular basis. So having 33 after 3 semesters is possible, especially if you're motived and willing to have it. And by the way, McGill puts a lot of importance on your motivation and personnal qualities, and your ability to become a good physician. So work hard, don't forget ECs (you have excellent ones by the way) and good luck.

Don't listen to what anybody tells you - I know tons of people who got accepted with less than a 33-34 R-score (fall 2008 students). Work as hard as you can so that you have no regrets, and if you truly know that pre-med is what you want, you should apply regardless. The interview still plays a very important role.

It's possible and its been done! Cut down on the ECs, work hard at getting the CRC. Statistics on CRC of this year's class is posted online so you can look at them and judge your own chances.

McGill hands out interviews largely based on your intent. Though CRC is important, its not the only thing. I think you should really try to get to know your teachers, avoid making them hate you, get help when you need to. If you feel your English teacher's grading was unfair, you can appeal for a grade review (i'm not sure what Dawson's procedure is for this. The Student Union can probably help you out).

And yes, people do get in with 33-34 CRC and they tend to be the hardest working ones too! But I wouldn't say its "a lot". Just work hard. A higher CRC and a good work ethic in CEGEP won't hurt you in any way.

Archived