Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you guys think it will be friday?

Because schools generally don't like dealing with phone calls from rejectees.

Releasing on Friday gives people time to cool their heads by the time the offices open again on the following Monday.

Wouldn't be surprised if decisions came out Friday. Would be nice. If not then no biggie...really don't mind waiting as long as it's not a rejection *fingers crossed*.

Why do you guys think it will be friday?

I am simply being hopelessly optimistic :D

However, looking at previous year threads, postal letters from Dal have traditionally been mailed out on a Friday. Last year, aside from the crazy tech. mishaps, decision statuses were changed at 9:15am AST on the Monday.

Since they will have to upload/scan the letter, I would think that they would have to have the system ready on the Friday to be able to press release upon entering the office on Monday.

Maybe someone in the office will feel sympathetic towards us and press release early :P

I heard from a "source" (not firsthand) that decisions have already been made. I don't know how much it's worth, but it just adds to my anxiety.

Considering they are "tentatively" sending out decisions on Monday, I am pretty sure decisions would have to be made by now.

I am also pretty sure (speculation of course) that OOP decisions have been made for awhile now (like 3+ weeks)...collecting dust in a corner :P

I am also pretty sure (speculation of course) that OOP decisions have been made for awhile now (like 3+ weeks)...collecting dust in a corner :P

Oh absolutely!

But I still feel that even if they have the decisions made, they gave a date and they will stick with it.

I heard from a "source" (not firsthand) that decisions have already been made. I don't know how much it's worth, but it just adds to my anxiety.

Not surprising. I'd be surprised if the decisions for OOP'ers haven't been made as early as January. We had our file reviews prior to early October and our interviews mid November. All it takes is numerically adding these scores.

Furthermore, letters were sent in early January and checking for red flags and eliminating those with red flags wouldn't have taken a long time either. Finally, sitting down (the entire adcom) to discuss any concerns/confirm everyone is OK with the ranking list wouldn't have taken long for a group of 66 students either.

Bottom line: our fates at Dal have been decided and all that remains is telling us.

<3 how this school has organized everything this year. From the early invites, to a well organized interview weekend, through to keeping us informed of the tentative release date. This is on top of telling applicants their rank on the WL and reasons for rejection (if some of us are unfortunate to get one). Very, very professional. This is a major reason why I love Dal (on top of having the opportunity to live on the East coast, have the second smallest class size in Canada, and a school dedicated to proving how good they really are post-accreditation issues).

Fingers crossed, big time!

It scares me how much you all like

Dal. I feel like the WL won't move, and I'm going to have to move to the Maritimes this year.

I'm actually sort of regretting applying anywhere else. I'd have liked to wait and apply as a maritimer if I don't get in to dal this year. I'm kind of thinking Dal or bust now.

I like Dal a lot too, but it isn't my first choice. Just because of subjective decision factors (location, family and friends). Great school otherwise, but they all are (or at least that's what they make it seem like on interview weekends). Just got back from Calgary and I see it as a great school as well. Studying medicine anywhere would be amazing :)

that's an awful idea considering all your other interviews...but to each his/her own.

Dal. I feel like the WL won't move, and I'm going to have to move to the Maritimes this year.

I'm actually sort of regretting applying anywhere else. I'd have liked to wait and apply as a maritimer if I don't get in to dal this year. I'm kind of thinking Dal or bust now.

I like Dal a lot too, but it isn't my first choice. Just because of subjective decision factors (location, family and friends). Great school otherwise, but they all are (or at least that's what they make it seem like on interview weekends). Just got back from Calgary and I see it as a great school as well. Studying medicine anywhere would be amazing :)

gb35 ->

At the end of the day, no matter how much we are in love with Dal that does not necessarily mean we would matriculate over every other school if we had our picks. I think the OOP waitlist will move quite a bit because the major concern for a lot of us (see HBP's post above) is location/family/friends. People generally tend to stay closer to where they have things figured out if given the choice.

Personally, if accepted to Toronto (a big if I know)...it would be hard for me to leave this city/friends/family/SO that I love no matter what other offers I may be fortunate to have.

There is absolutely nothing better than seeing deserving candidates matriculate at their top choice school and I hope we all are fortunate to have that opportunity come August. And no matter how esteemed the school may seem in the eyes of others...family/friends/location have the major pull in staying closer to home.

I have my fingers crossed for you and Dal.

Haha thanks for the support all.

I know this sounds awful, and I shouldn't be complaining. This week leading up to March 7th has just been a very stressful one, as I'm sure you all know. I don't imagine spending April waiting for May to come will be any easier.

Anyone doing anything interesting to pass the time this week?

Man... after all this, it'll be a massive let down if I don't make the waitlist.

++. It'll be hard not to take it personally, despite your rational self. Alas that's the name of the game with med admissions. You take the hits, lick your wounds, and go on.

On another note, anyone want to hazard a guess how many OOP applicants on this board will hit the top 9 come March 7th? I'm going to guess a conservative 2 (or 3 if we're really lucky).

++. It'll be hard not to take it personally, despite your rational self. Alas that's the name of the game with med admissions. You take the hits, lick your wounds, and go on.

On another note, anyone want to hazard a guess how many OOP applicants on this board will hit the top 9 come March 7th? I'm going to guess a conservative 2 (or 3 if we're really lucky).

Really? I would have guessed higher but maybe I'm overestimating the number of us on here... How many OOP'ers of us are there on here?

Let's start a poll!!!

On that note, I agree with HBP. I've been looking forward to March 7th with a bit too much optimism...I'll be crushed if I am rejected :(

ive been looking at March 7th with a lot of pessimism, and i'll still be crushed if i am rejected haha

Archived