Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

My oh my. It's a long wait to find out if you're in or not. I liked working on my application, knowing the things I wrote or did were bettering my chances. It's tough when things are now out of your hands.

About a month and a half until there is closure. That's forever.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll know soon baby! I have no problems waiting for a final decision but am antsy to hear about interviews in my home provinces. LOL, figure that one out.

I do hope we hear good news after waiting though...waiting really sucks when you get a negative answer in the end.

Good luck w/ Dal gb35. It's always nice to see people get in at their top choices :).

Worse still is the waitlist. I got waitlisted somewhere else a couple of years ago and that's probably the closest I got to insanity.

Can't imagine how awful that was, sorry to hear it.

I definitely prefer outright acceptance or rejection to the uncertainty of a waitlist. Screw waiting through the summer (ie more than a few weeks, even for a top choice) if you're lucky enough to have one acceptance in hand.

At the very least, schools should let us know positions on the WLs. We're all adults and (hopefully) won't let us our WL position influence what we do [only our mental state].

Other schools would do well to emulate imho.

Agreed 100%. The year I was waitlisted was the year Queen's interviewed almost 800 people. Not knowing your place in that mess is brutal. I particularly like Calgary and Toronto's non-explanation of it though...

"Knowing your number on the waitlist will not help you and may indeed hurt you as you plan for the coming year. Since we do not know how many additional offers may be made or when, nor do we know how many individuals on our waitlist may accept an offer elsewhere and withdraw from our consideration, knowing your position on the waitlist at any given time is meaningless."

In contrast, Dal just keeps going higher and higher in my esteem. It seems like they really try to treat applicants as though they are people.

In contrast, Dal just keeps going higher and higher in my esteem. It seems like they really try to treat applicants as though they are people.

++. The whole "knowing your WL # = meaningless" is BS. It's all about the image though. Not wanting the public to know how deep they're going into their WL's to keep the veil of prestige.

You know (and this is probably for another time and place), but this whole process of endless waiting/being kept in the dark only to attain an acceptance to the right to sink into many more years of blood and sweat (not to mention loans) is asinine.

Of course, medical schools can choose to be whatever they want to be since they are now used to having tens (if not a hundred in the case of widely applied to schools in the US like Boston University) of applicants per every seat.

Bottom line: Dal is very nice/humane in the way they run things. Moreover, being in a class of 70 (I'm talking about the Halifax portion of the class here) would be great and having many docs who are very open to teaching (unlike in big urban centers where attendings are inundated with fellows/residents/clerks and teaching becomes fatiguing)...is tremendous. Dal is definitely very high up there in my opinion.

I noticed that they have changed the timeline page to reflect the 2011-2012 cycle and this note is now at the top...

"Attention applicants to the class of 2015 ? File assessment is ongoing. The Admissions Committee is now meeting to review and score your files. We are tentatively scheduled to send decision letters out during the week of March 7th, 2011."

http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/

haha, sorry. I can't find anything that says one way or another. I would think that it would be email, as our interview invites were via email.... (please please please no snail mail, I do not want to run to the mail box as often as I refresh my inbox!)

haha, sorry. I can't find anything that says one way or another. I would think that it would be email, as our interview invites were via email.... (please please please no snail mail, I do not want to run to the mail box as often as I refresh my inbox!)

I can't remember where I saw this but it was email. I'm in BC and I would have been sad if it wasn't ;)

If they do use the online system again this year..watch out! I had "decision to follow" on my account when everybody's changed to "accepted - deposit required"...and therefore thought I didn't get in. Then got an acceptance letter later that day!

Archived