Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a bit more than a month to go guys! I'm really excited to know how accurate my thoughts about the MMI format were/are.

Also, getting a concrete # (if placed on WL) is likewise a sweet deal. Can't believe how Dal worked out for me this year -> was considering not applying (OOP) and was almost DQ'ed (transcript not received Sept 1)...but such a pleasant surprise October 8.

Now in hindsight, it will be Dal and maybe U/T (pending) that are my only Canadian options. Couldn't be happier with that though...that Halifax weekend was an awesome time!

/end rant.

That is hilarious. I often have those thoughts about my past MMIs as well!!

I'm trying not to think about it too much, but every time I reflect at my interview at Dal, I imagine my response to fall along the lines of this sketch:

http://fliiby.com/file/39995/95hnx87m5u.html

particularly from 1:34 onwards :)

As an OOP my hopes aren't really too high.

What was the wait-list movement last year for OOP? i.e. how many?

I think, and I could be wrong, that they waitlisted 25 people, and ending up exceeding the waitlist.

I know the second part (exceeding the waitlist) is true, I'm just not sure how many waitlist positions they gave out.

hmmm....I really hope its the same this year. I heard OOP interviewees were ~60; so assuming that they accept 10 and waitlist 25, rejection is 50%....

Correct?

I can't help thinking that a few of my MMI stations were terrible - mainly judging by the reaction of the interviewers...

Also, how do they factor grad degrees into their calculations?

hmmm....I really hope its the same this year. I heard OOP interviewees were ~60; so assuming that they accept 10 and waitlist 25, rejection is 50%....

Correct?

I can't help thinking that a few of my MMI stations were terrible - mainly judging by the reaction of the interviewers...

a) There were 66 interviews for 9 OOP spots, if I'm not mistaken.

B) It's so hard to tell how it went...when I think of some of my stations I want to facepalm. Just remember that sometimes the interviewers are instructed to act a certain way, so it might just be that they were told not to act too excited. At least that's what I console myself with :rolleyes:

c) I just checked that out today actually...the site says your best two years + your grad GPA all averaged have to make the OOP GPA cutoff, so I guess that's what goes into their equation at the end. http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/gda.htm

I also remember a tour leader on my interview day mentioning that grad degrees give you a 1-2% bonus...

I've heard that too, I think it falls under the 5% discretion points. Other points under that heading can be for varsity or higher level sport competition and getting a really high mark on the written component (or so I've heard).

I've heard that too, I think it falls under the 5% discretion points. Other points under that heading can be for varsity or higher level sport competition and getting a really high mark on the written component (or so I've heard).

Do you mean the written component of the mcat (essays), or the personal essay, or something else?

Correct?

I'm pretty sure the wait list will be more than 25.. 2 years ago, 2 of my friends were wait listed at 34 and 36. And based on what happened last year, where they sent acceptances to people who were initially rejected, I have a feeling the wait list will be fairly long.

Archived