Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

I just browsed through the power point. I got the impression that our MMI was graded based on all 10 stations.

I have also heard that the highest and lowest scoring stations were dropped and each station was worth 5 points for a total of 40.

Does anyone know which is the truth?

I suppose it doesn't really matter but this seems like the place for speculation.

Otto

Scoring 8 stations sounds good to me! I had two stations where the interviewers actually said "ummm.. I really don't think you understand what the question was asking you"... It was an a downhill mumble for the 6 minutes that followed... I wish they'd drop the lowest 2 stations!! :rolleyes:

Somewhere along the way I've seen an MMI scoring sheet/rubrik, and it was out of 5. 5/5 was excellent communication, empathy, critical thinking (and a few more I can't remember), and the 1/5 was poor communication, poor empathy, and poor communication skills. It was pretty broad.

Since all OOPs had similar stats to get interviewed (X/60), and I'm guessing most of us will have similar MMI scores (X/40)... don't you think the ranges for overall scores (X/100) will be super close?

Again, more speculation. But, this is the place!

Scoring 8 stations sounds good to me! I had two stations where the interviewers actually said "ummm.. I really don't think you understand what the question was asking you"... It was an a downhill mumble for the 6 minutes that followed... I wish they'd drop the lowest 2 stations!! :rolleyes:

Somewhere along the way I've seen an MMI scoring sheet/rubrik, and it was out of 5. 5/5 was excellent communication, empathy, critical thinking (and a few more I can't remember), and the 1/5 was poor communication, poor empathy, and poor communication skills. It was pretty broad.

Since all OOPs had similar stats to get interviewed (X/60), and I'm guessing most of us will have similar MMI scores (X/40)... don't you think the ranges for overall scores (X/100) will be super close?

Again, more speculation. But, this is the place!

Interview probably allows for more separation since the interviewer can directly compare you with another person.

I'm surprised they said that to you though... perhaps they were trying to give you a hint to talk about something else. I didn't really find that any of the stations were hard to understand though... some were up to your interpretation (i.e. explain what this means to you), but those were open-ended enough, no?

I'm surprised they said that to you though... perhaps they were trying to give you a hint to talk about something else. I didn't really find that any of the stations were hard to understand though... some were up to your interpretation (i.e. explain what this means to you), but those were open-ended enough, no?

There was one q that was like that for me, I felt like I spent so much time trying to get the reviewer to understand what my take on the question was that it was overall a bad station. I would guess it is the same one probably. Unless of course you were on a different day. Maybe they change the questions?

I was also told by a med 1 that they drop highest and lowest, but perhaps he was mis-informed 2 years ago as well

The stats posted in the powerpoint file on the Dal med admissions site seem strange because I personally know an IP applicant this year whose application was rejected pre-interview due to a mark on one section of the mcat...

You have to have a total of 24, but will be rejected if you score a 7 or less on one section.

Re-reading your post I realized that maybe that's not what you were getting at ... the powerpoint left out that some IP were rejected pre-interview (as is listed on the stats page). I'm not sure why the ppt said they were all eligible, since according to their webpage they clearly weren't.

There was one q that was like that for me, I felt like I spent so much time trying to get the reviewer to understand what my take on the question was that it was overall a bad station. I would guess it is the same one probably. Unless of course you were on a different day. Maybe they change the questions?

I was also told by a med 1 that they drop highest and lowest, but perhaps he was mis-informed 2 years ago as well

I've heard that from multiple med 1s and 2s as well... Which I think benefited me for my interview since I was not too concerned at the time about possibly bombing one station!

You have to have a total of 24, but will be rejected if you score a 7 or less on one section.

Re-reading your post I realized that maybe that's not what you were getting at ... the powerpoint left out that some IP were rejected pre-interview (as is listed on the stats page). I'm not sure why the ppt said they were all eligible, since according to their webpage they clearly weren't.

Thanks - I didn't check the webpage. I thought something was off in the ppt. :)

If you're IP, you can get a 7 (but no less) in one section as long as your overall score is = or > 24.

If you're IP' date=' you can get a 7 (but no less) in one section as long as your overall score is = or > 24.[/quote']

Woops that's what I meant, sorry :P ! I really liked the ppt though, it was nice of them to put that out. It confirmed a lot of what I had thought already and made me feel a bit more confident about my application.

Has anyone thought about how they'll celebrate if they get in? Or is that putting the cart before the horse? haha I'm trying to decide if I'll celebrate being put on the wait list, if that happens (as an IP) :o .

Well, as I said in an earlier post (somewhere) - I think I'm going to book that day off work if I can - and if not, I will just stay off the internet - otherwise I'll be hitting refresh on pm101 and on the dal admissions page every 2 seconds.

I'm not really expecting it based on the competitiveness of the pool and the classic pre-med tendency to be insanely critical of myself - but if I get in I think I will either scream, barf or faint - or all of those at the same time - and I wouldn't want to do that in front of my colleagues or students.

I'm not really expecting it based on the competitiveness of the pool and the classic pre-med tendency to be insanely critical of myself - but if I get in I think I will either scream, barf or faint - or all of those at the same time - and I wouldn't want to do that in front of my colleagues or students.

Lol, I don't know what to say... but that's amazing!

Man I spend way too much time on this one thread, but I can't help read about all the speculation. It could be an incredibly long summer for us OOPs if we get wait listed seeing as some people didn't find out until late June. I'm 99% I'll be wait listed, I just hope it's the top 20 or so. I really don't know who are the top 9 to get in, but they must be awesome because I have a friend who was wait listed last year pretty high (#8) and he practiced every other day with his house mates who were all in Mac health sci, who also had interviews at Dal/Mac. They got into Mac directly so they are there now, but I just imagine if he wasn't even in top 9, there is no way I will be!!

Man I spend way too much time on this one thread, but I can't help read about all the speculation. It could be an incredibly long summer for us OOPs if we get wait listed seeing as some people didn't find out until late June. I'm 99% I'll be wait listed, I just hope it's the top 20 or so. I really don't know who are the top 9 to get in, but they must be awesome because I have a friend who was wait listed last year pretty high (#8) and he practiced every other day with his house mates who were all in Mac health sci, who also had interviews at Dal/Mac. They got into Mac directly so they are there now, but I just imagine if he wasn't even in top 9, there is no way I will be!!

Hey, the truth is, you never know how you will do in comparison to others :) Tons of directed mmi practice doesn't hold a candle to 'real-life' practice and experience... that said, it's pretty impressive to get an OOP interview, period.

Friends, rooting for at least a few of us to make it in the top 9 in a month's time!

And also Addy K, as said above, hard to make comparisons like you made. Practice interviews (MMI or panel) are fine but really never close to the real thing. No way to simulate the pressure and, at times, ingenuity of the interviewers during the real thing.

Archived