Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

True, there might have been a rush to review the OOPs.

Does anyone find this page of the stats weird? It means that every single applicant met the requirements to be reviewed.

Or maybe they only posted the number of people who were eligible. I thought Dal got closer to 600 non-maritime applicants historically.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see what you mean, but in their case, it made a lot of sense. I won't get into why, but trust me.

And you're right, most people won't do that. But we're talking about 9 OOP spots, and tons of waitlist movement may just be trying to fill one or two spots. So it doesn't take many people to hugely affect how the WL behaves. Hence my speculation we'd see less movement if we found out in January.

That's crazy... last year people were being called of the refused list because the waitlist was exhausted, AND your friend took a spot without attending his Ontario interviews. No wonder they added the "Connections with Maritime provinces" for the OOP statement this year.

http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/class.htm

Last year they didn't. They also had ineligible applicants last year. I suppose they just made a mistake on the stats page this year.

Hmmm interesting.

As neuronix said, dal might keep us on our toes until late in the summer. As I've said many times, it's far and away my first choice, and has been for years now. I may spend my entire LOC bribing OOPs to accept elsewhere, hahaha.

EDIT: I wonder how many times I'll post here between now and august. It's scary how much of my time is spent on pure speculation.

OOP seats weren't filled last year, lol.

From website:

Accepted breakdown looks like this

30 students will be from NB

5 students will be from PEI

64 students will be from NS

9 students from outside the Maritimes

1 OMFS

Stats:

Total Students: 109

79 attending Halifax Campus ; 30 attending NB Campus

30 NB

5 PEI

8 Non Mar

1 OMFS

65 NS

haha

bribery. That's awesome. If you're so keen on Dal and you don't get in this year, are you going to go somewhere else provided you get in? Or are you just going to move to Halifax and get IP?

Your dedication to the one school would point to it.

If I get in somewhere besides dal, I'd have to take it. Medicine is the career I want, and I could still head out east for residency or to practice. I'd just spend a lot of my LOC traveling to the maritimes if I do med somewhere else.

If I don't get in anywhere this year though I am going to move back out east again and try again.

that may be a typo.

It also probably means that under a certain score, you're for SURE rejected.

Can also mean that they had 9 OOPs set to go and one dropped out late enough for them to not be able to fill the spot.

Another alternative is they went through the entire OOP interviewee pool last year.

All long shots and not really important.

---

With regards to notification in early March (when we know that OOP file reviews have already been done), this may be the earliest any Canadian medical school can start releasing decisions. Coincidentally, McGill OOP find out at this point too and not one school notifies of acceptance/WL/rejection earlier than the 1st week of March.

Speculation galore folks.

Thanks. There were quite a few people who had interviewed at Dal who were at McGill. Quite a few of them had UBC also. I definitely think getting a spot at Dal would be easier than one at McGill because of all the overlap and waitlist movement.

+1 given the fact that there is little waitlist movement at McGill. If we take previous years into consideration, approx. 30 people will hopefully be receiving acceptances from Dal throughout the summer (9 initially + approx. 20 off waitlist).

Fingers crossed for you girl!!!

Thanks. There were quite a few people who had interviewed at Dal who were at McGill. Quite a few of them had UBC also. I definitely think getting a spot at Dal would be easier than one at McGill because of all the overlap and waitlist movement.

good news I suppose. I feel like most people prefer UBC or Mcgill than dal.

Archived