Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

I feel like after last year's ridiculous WL movement Dal really put an effort in to sell themselves this year. Being way ahead of schedule in terms of interviewing and making offers could make a difference in whether students come to perceive themselves as "Dal students" prior to getting offers in their own province.

Curious to see how this will impact WL movement.

Would most of you choose Dal over an IP school?

I don't think that the early process had anything to do with the previous WL movement. I think they do it for reasons that have to do with the admissions process of the two atlantic schools - or at least that's what a med student at Dal told me.

Dal for me is rated pretty high...so I don't know...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that the early process had anything to do with the previous WL movement.

The early process is new... so no, it didn't have anything to do with WL movement.

Last year, you had the option to submit your app early and get interviewed in November, and the decisions were in March. Prior to that, the timeline was like the Ontario schools.

So, last year they moved things earlier, and still had significant waitlist movement. I wonder though, if Dal is shifting towards trying to pick non-maritimers who are likely to choose Dal (hence the essay paragraph on why Dal) and maybe this will impact the waitlist.

The impression I got from everyone was "I'd love to go here", but that's probably the case with any med school, and a lot of people were probably excited because it's their first med school interview. We won't really know how that WL is going to move until May I guess.

I'd be very curious to know where all the other non-maritimers got interviews, and where their first choice is.

hmmm

someone on the other thread has posted that Dal contacted their referees after the interview...thoughts?

s/he is OOP btw...

yikes

I don't think this affects the timeline or anything... Dal has said they use referees, just not for the final score. Maybe they just want clarification on something the referee said?

Unless you're referring to the verifiers for the activities...?

I'm just wondering if they contact those referees of applicants who they seem more interested in.

I think that's a no. They contact referees randomly, or if they don't understand/doubt something you wrote. But, as I wrote in the other thread, all of us OOP's had to be scored pre-interview (unlike the Maritimers). So, at this point, they're probably just doing their due diligence to keep people honest.

Soo... In the course of a day how many times everyones mind flip from thinking your probably accepted<-->rejected<--->hopefully waitlisted?

I also have a feeling that the WL will move less this year because Dal painted a crystal clear picture of what the school is like, and put a lot of effort into showing us how great they are. Then again, right now we all have our mind set on Dal because we have had the chance to see the school and to me it felt like a fit but the reality is that it is the only school I have ever interviewed at so it is hard to make a comparison.

For me it is #1 and that won't change for me because I don't have interviews at a lot of schools. But I have seen a lot of other applicants to Dal have 6 or 7 other schools to still interview at that can sway their decision so lets hope they are great too ;)

I've heard that you can find out your total score after the decisions have been sent...do you ever get to know your MMI score? It would be helpful to see how it went for future reference...

I was told explicitly by someone who was on the committee last year that nobody would recieve their total score. Where did you hear this information from?

I've heard that you can find out your total score after the decisions have been sent...do you ever get to know your MMI score? It would be helpful to see how it went for future reference...

Pretty sure after you're rejected you can get the score of each section of your application.

Has anyone had any seen any strong evidence whether or not we will be receiving our notices via the online system like last year (that may actually work this year) or purely by snail mail this year? Thanks.

Well, last year it did work, they just didn't release waitlist positions or rejections online, only offers of admission. I see no reason why offers of admission wouldn't show up online again.

I heard UofT will give 3 weeks for the decision whether to come to their school. This might be indicative of other OMSAS schools as well...

=

more waiting for OOP dal waitlistees.

Yeah I know someone who found out they got into dal in August.

Crazy huh? I think a lot of us OOP applications will have interviews AFTER March 7th

Haha yeah, and I'll be heavily rooting for you all to succeed in your other interviews. I suspect I'll be nervously waiting for news from Dal into the summer.

Hey guys! Just noticed on the website (http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/) there is a new powerpoint file you can view about this admissions cycle. According to it, this year there are 324 eligible Maritime applicants they are scoring. Kind of cool to know exactly how many of us there were - I'd love to know provincial breakdown though! It also contains info about scoring - more than Dal has ever released before! As in they are actually specifying what each section is worth in points. (I know most people on this board probably know the breakdown already, but anyway...)

It's right under the "What's happening in the admissions office?" heading. Happy reading!

Archived