Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

Out of curiosity, is UBC your first choice, since you're from there? Almost anyone I've ever met from either coast seems to be unable to imagine living anywhere else.

I wouldn't say it's my first choice, honestly at this point I'm not sure. Now that I've received more than 1 interview this cycle, I've realized that I've got some serious thinking to do in the case that I am accepted at more than one school. My plan is to start ranking programs once I see all the campuses/have face to face chats with some students.

But in the end, the best school is the one that lets you in :)

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys! Just noticed on the website (http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/) there is a new powerpoint file you can view about this admissions cycle. According to it, this year there are 324 eligible Maritime applicants they are scoring. Kind of cool to know exactly how many of us there were - I'd love to know provincial breakdown though! It also contains info about scoring - more than Dal has ever released before! As in they are actually specifying what each section is worth in points. (I know most people on this board probably know the breakdown already, but anyway...)

It's right under the "What's happening in the admissions office?" heading. Happy reading!

I got excited when I saw the stats of who got into where because I thought it meant decisions were coming soon, then realized it was for class of 2014 :P

Still a nice little review though :)

Hey guys! Just noticed on the website (http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/) there is a new powerpoint file you can view about this admissions cycle. According to it, this year there are 324 eligible Maritime applicants they are scoring. Kind of cool to know exactly how many of us there were - I'd love to know provincial breakdown though! It also contains info about scoring - more than Dal has ever released before! As in they are actually specifying what each section is worth in points. (I know most people on this board probably know the breakdown already, but anyway...)

It's right under the "What's happening in the admissions office?" heading. Happy reading!

Thanks for the link mmel!

Cool stats. Man, 332->66->9

Intense.

These kinds of things always remind me of what a numbers game it is... Imagine if you are the 67th person on that list of people to be interviewed and just missed out.. or worse, if you end up being #1 on the wait list and don't get in :eek: And in reality there is no meaningful difference between applicants ranked so closely. Oh well, this is the game we all have to play.

These kinds of things always remind me of what a numbers game it is... Imagine if you are the 67th person on that list of people to be interviewed and just missed out.. or worse, if you end up being #1 on the wait list and don't get in :eek: And in reality there is no meaningful difference between applicants ranked so closely. Oh well, this is the game we all have to play.

This is the ridiculous position us applicants are in because of the limited seats. Hard work goes a long way but you definitely need some luck as well (there is a substantial subjective portion to most medical admissions...this is a good thing but hence the element of some luck to nudge you closer to the top of the applicant food chain).

Anyone else notice that they mentioned that admission decisions would be coming out by email? So, i guess we don't need to log in to the online system to find out our results.

Now I can just wait for my iphone to buzz instead of fake-working at my job and refreshing pm101 and the online site constantly.

Anyone else notice that they mentioned that admission decisions would be coming out by email? So, i guess we don't need to log in to the online system to find out our results.

Now I can just wait for my iphone to buzz instead of fake-working at my job and refreshing pm101 and the online site constantly.

Where did you read this chrail? On the powerpoint I could only see that interview notification would be sent via e-mail. And on the main admissions page they still only say that "admission letters will be distributed on March 7".

Hi EC89,

You are totally right - I misread that statement. Wishful thinking on my part I guess :o

I have a meeting from 9-12 that morning... blurg. Anyone want to take an educated guess on when they will update the system on the 7th?

Not sure if I should keep refreshing my phone to find out. If I get an offer, I will freak out and run out of the meeting. If I don't get an offer I will most likely do the same thing... so I guess it doesn't really matter :rolleyes:

Where did you read this chrail? On the powerpoint I could only see that interview notification would be sent via e-mail. And on the main admissions page they still only say that "admission letters will be distributed on March 7".

I agree neuronix.

It would be so nice if they had just let us know. I mean, it's not like we are competing for the same spots as non-maritimers, and it might even help Dal reduce their waitlist movement and get more of their "first choice" OOPs. I guess theyd then have to deal with the whole handling deposits and getting us info while still evaluating maritimers, so I can see why they don't.

And I'm not really complaining, since the later they push it the more that waitlist is likely to move for us!

I agree neuronix.

It would be so nice if they had just let us know. I mean, it's not like we are competing for the same spots as non-maritimers, and it might even help Dal reduce their waitlist movement and get more of their "first choice" OOPs. I guess theyd then have to deal with the whole handling deposits and getting us info while still evaluating maritimers, so I can see why they don't.

And I'm not really complaining, since the later they push it the more that waitlist is likely to move for us!

what's your rationale for that?

what's your rationale for that?

Last year I had more than one friend who had their heart set on U of T or U of O, but then they got in to dal in march and didn't bother attending their Ontario interviews.

Now, dal is a fantastic school, and puts on a great interview weekend. I cant see how anyone who visits Dal wouldn't be sold on the program. But these friends of mine didn't even bother to attend their other interviews!

It's strange though, isn't it?

Dal was able to review 332 OOP files and rank them in 1.5 months to send 66 interviews. MMI scores added later.

Yet, the 324 IP files that now need to be reviewed post-interview are taking much longer. Perhaps they're finished and just waiting till early March for the sake of waiting? Any ideas?

It's strange though, isn't it?

Dal was able to review 332 OOP files and rank them in 1.5 months to send 66 interviews. MMI scores added later.

Yet, the 324 IP files that now need to be reviewed post-interview is taking much longer. Perhaps they're finished and just waiting till early March for the sake of waiting? Any ideas?

Or maybe they meet less now, so reviewing the files takes longer. There are a lot of people involved in the reviewing, and they have lots of other responsibilities besides just admissions, so maybe from a scheduling standpoint they just can't work at that pace all year. They were also closed most of December.

it's either that yes, they're just waiting (may be a deal forged with MUN with regards to when to release acceptances).

OR

they do last minute tweaks...meaning the committee reviews each person again and adds or decreases points to their liking...I doubt this happen...but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Or maybe they meet less now, so reviewing the files takes longer. There are a lot of people involved in the reviewing, and they have lots of other responsibilities besides just admissions, so maybe from a scheduling standpoint they just can't work at that pace all year. They were also closed most of December.

True, there might have been a rush to review the OOPs.

Does anyone find this page of the stats weird? It means that every single applicant met the requirements to be reviewed.

Total applications received – 656

Maritime – 324

- All eligible to be interviewed /scored

Non Maritime – 332

-All eligible to be scored on supplemental and essay

Total scores (acad. + supp/essay) rank ordered and top 60-65 invited for interview

wow

that's pretty crazy. I don't think that the majority of people are that rash with their decision.

I see what you mean, but in their case, it made a lot of sense. I won't get into why, but trust me.

And you're right, most people won't do that. But we're talking about 9 OOP spots, and tons of waitlist movement may just be trying to fill one or two spots. So it doesn't take many people to hugely affect how the WL behaves. Hence my speculation we'd see less movement if we found out in January.

Archived