Premed 101 Forums

Waiting...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone else feel like the interview was a kind of a waste of time and effort if we were all just wait listed, without any indication of position? Not only is really nerve racking to think we were all wait listed, but I just can't help but feel the interview didn't really matter for anyone but the first 9 OOP offered a position... and even then, there pre-interview scores may have been what made the difference. Ack. :(

I'd settle for knowing the range of the wait list.

Knowing is always better than not knowing! :rolleyes:

No quite the opposite IMO. It seems like every OOP has a ~3.8 and ~34 MCAT and great ECs. I think we all came in dead even and the interview is what separated us. I think the difficulty is that the MMI q's were very broad and vague, at least in comparison to another school, and that makes it difficult to assess how your responses would be marked. I hate to say it but it just means we were out interviewed.

To put it in more optimistic terms last year 9 invited and ~29 WLed so only ~25 people were rejected initially. This year it is possible that each of us is in that 25, but just as likely that we are in the top 30 of the waitlist and still have a shot.

On top of that, I think we are looking at this as a _____ move by Dal because we feel robbed of a high WL spot. But last years class only has 6 OOP (correct me if I'm wrong? A med 1 mentioned that), and that is because they exhausted the WL and then invited only #1 on the rejected list ans then gave those spots to IP students. This year there is the possibility that with similar WL movement people beyond #29 on the WL can get spots 7, 8 and 9 because it won't be an issue for Dal to continue moving along the WL.

Optimism people, you are on the WL for an amazing med school.

But last years class only has 6 OOP (correct me if I'm wrong? A med 1 mentioned that)

I believe you may be thinking of Manitoba - they have 6 OOP even though they technically have 10 spots and no one really explained why. I think you're right and Dal is still an amazing school, but it was just very disappointing when they went back on the one thing that almost no OOP school will do for us.

On top of that, I think we are looking at this as a _____ move by Dal because we feel robbed of a high WL spot. But last years class only has 6 OOP (correct me if I'm wrong? A med 1 mentioned that), and that is because they exhausted the WL and then invited only #1 on the rejected list ans then gave those spots to IP students.

Information from the source: http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/class.htm

Profile of the 2014 Class. 9 non-Maritime students.

I think you are confused with the 6 PEI seats, but they didn't have another islander to fill it, so another NS student got it.

Man, I am seriously considering moving to PEI if I don't get in this year. They have awesome chances. I probably won't but its nice to dream...

Information from the source: http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/class.htm

Profile of the 2014 Class. 9 non-Maritime students.

I think you are confused with the 6 PEI seats, but they didn't have another islander to fill it, so another NS student got it.

Man, I am seriously considering moving to PEI if I don't get in this year. They have awesome chances. I probably won't but its nice to dream...

Look at the presentation PDF, there are only 8 OOPs. They weren't able to fill all the OOP spots.

that, is indeed the only contentious issue.

If they indeed WL all of us, then they are theoretically at least, willing to accept all of us in the unlikely event that everyone declines the spot.

This means that last year, a person who scored like 67 would have been rejected and never looked at again, but this year, since they might have waitlisted everyone they'd be legally (?) inclined to accept this person regardless of their low score.

This gives impetus to the idea that they did reject people.

Take this with a grain of salt guys, but (apparently) a friend of a close friend of mine was rejected OOP post-interview at Dal.

In the grand scheme of things, those of us at the top of the list will be finding out over the next few months and we'll be able to know (roughly) what our position was...and in hindsight, it won't matter :).

I think you're wrong about the 6 OOP. I asked a few people during the interview weekend and the consensus was either an 8 or 9.

Also, I last year's threads indicate that at least two people were chosen from the rejected pile.

Ah good call I mixed up my info, but even it is 8 the principle is the same, this may actually be a good thing that more people are WLed.

Take this with a grain of salt guys, but (apparently) a friend of a close friend of mine was rejected OOP post-interview at Dal.

In the grand scheme of things, those of us at the top of the list will be finding out over the next few months and we'll be able to know (roughly) what our position was...and in hindsight, it won't matter :).

Tell that friend of a close friend to send you the PDF that he downloaded and send it to you so that you can confirm this information :rolleyes::)

No quite the opposite IMO. It seems like every OOP has a ~3.8 and ~34 MCAT and great ECs. I think we all came in dead even and the interview is what separated us. I think the difficulty is that the MMI q's were very broad and vague, at least in comparison to another school, and that makes it difficult to assess how your responses would be marked. I hate to say it but it just means we were out interviewed.

To put it in more optimistic terms last year 9 invited and ~29 WLed so only ~25 people were rejected initially. This year it is possible that each of us is in that 25, but just as likely that we are in the top 30 of the waitlist and still have a shot.

On top of that, I think we are looking at this as a _____ move by Dal because we feel robbed of a high WL spot. But last years class only has 6 OOP (correct me if I'm wrong? A med 1 mentioned that), and that is because they exhausted the WL and then invited only #1 on the rejected list ans then gave those spots to IP students. This year there is the possibility that with similar WL movement people beyond #29 on the WL can get spots 7, 8 and 9 because it won't be an issue for Dal to continue moving along the WL.

Yeah, this makes sense and I agree on some points. I just feel that if they would theoretically take us all (assuming no OOP rejected), then I feel the interview didn't change anything from our initial file review. I do suppose however, that the interview confirmed we were all acceptable candidates and did rank us in some order...I just wonder how much that order is different from the pre-interview rank order. Just seems like the interview didn't turn out to be all that important (for lack of a better word) to the application (again, except to rank us in an order, and if we are the next in line... etc etc - it's all been said).

Ugh, I felt so depressed today. I had been so set on knowing the waitlist position and being able to gauge how likely an offer was... now not knowing at all, I just feel like I'm going to be waitlisted forever only to be rejected... :(

Ugh, I felt so depressed today. I had been so set on knowing the waitlist position and being able to gauge how likely an offer was... now not knowing at all, I just feel like I'm going to be waitlisted forever only to be rejected... :(

You're not alone.

Tell that friend of a close friend to send you the PDF that he downloaded and send it to you so that you can confirm this information :rolleyes::)

LMAO...I'll see if I can ask politely. Being an ass ain't my thing.

Agreed with the above by the way. WL'ed forever only to be rejected :'(

Archived