Premed 101 Forums

Question about references

mydream

Hey guys!

I was wondering about the questions asked to the references on the form sent my McGill. I know they ask to rank the applicants ability in different fields such as perseverance, compassion, empathy, leadership. But what other qualities are they asking the references to rank? It would be really helpful to know, that will allow me to choose my references adequately depending on which areas they know me best.

Thanks again for all the help!

I remember in the old reference form used in previous years, the items you mentioned were all there.

I get the following qualities from the McGill Medicine Admissions site.

Good luck!

Assessing Non-Academic Qualities

The Admissions Committee attends not only to your academic performance, but also to your non-academic qualities. These qualities include, but are not limited to:

•compassion, empathy, care

•insight, judgment, common sense

•integrity, honesty

•adaptability, tolerance, flexibility

•creativity, innovation

•respect for others

•intellectual curiosity

•reliability, dependability

•responsibility, teamwork

•ability to deal with conflict or stressful situations

•leadership, initiative

•sense of assurance despite ambiguity or self-confidence

•community involvement, social activism

•level of professionalism, respect for the public at large

•personal development

From http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/non-academics.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont understand

when you are in the admissions on internet, they ask you to write the names and everything about the references

after that, what happens? They give you a link for your teachers to write(type) about you? Because I read somewhere that references wont be accepted if not sent by internet

I dont understand

when you are in the admissions on internet, they ask you to write the names and everything about the references

after that, what happens? They give you a link for your teachers to write(type) about you? Because I read somewhere that references wont be accepted if not sent by internet

That's right! They receive an e-mail containing a link to an online form. They then fill out the form and submit it. Once that happens the status of your referee will go from SENT to SUBMITTED in MedOAS. Good luck! :D

That's right! They receive an e-mail containing a link to an online form. They then fill out the form and submit it. Once that happens the status of your referee will go from SENT to SUBMITTED in MedOAS. Good luck! :D

Thank you very much!

Could you please tell me what do they mean by "Due date" when entering the references?

Thank you very much!

Could you please tell me what do they mean by "Due date" when entering the references?

"Date due pour vos référants est à votre discretion - nous devons les recevoir en même temps que la date limite pour postuler au med-p." From Twitter

Basically, you're free to choose the due date as long as they get the reports by March 1st :)

Archived