Premed 101 Forums

Working in US

hp18

After doing residency in Family Medicine in Canada, can one work in US (in California or PA)?

depends .. by work .. do u mean getting a cali or PA med license or simply being able to get a job? You should be able to apply for a license in both of those states with ur Cad FM residency. However, if you strictly do just 2 yrs of FM, then more then likely you'll have to do an additional year as FM progs are 3 yrs in the US and it may be hard to find a job with this. Also, you can't be FM board certified in the US with the 2 yr cad FM programs. Don't quote me on this but this is what i've heard.

depends .. by work .. do u mean getting a cali or PA med license or simply being able to get a job? You should be able to apply for a license in both of those states with ur Cad FM residency. However, if you strictly do just 2 yrs of FM, then more then likely you'll have to do an additional year as FM progs are 3 yrs in the US and it may be hard to find a job with this. Also, you can't be FM board certified in the US with the 2 yr cad FM programs. Don't quote me on this but this is what i've heard.

I meant working as family physician. I do not mind doing an extra year but is it necessary that it should be done in US? If I do PGY-3 here, do you think I can then get FM board certified in US?

It's not the most important thing...but how much family physicians earn in US, say in California/PA?

• 3 weeks later...
I meant working as family physician. I do not mind doing an extra year but is it necessary that it should be done in US? If I do PGY-3 here, do you think I can then get FM board certified in US?

It's not the most important thing...but how much family physicians earn in US, say in California/PA?

If you do your PGY-3 year, then there's no issue with becoming board certified in FM in the US. You may still be able to get a job in the US with a 2 yr residency but you'll be limited as they'll prefer 3 yr FM residencies.

Salary wise, US FM docs earn ~210K. There will be some regional variation and in general, I'd expect a FM doc in CA to make less than a FM doc in PA when adjusted for all other factors.

Archived