Premed 101 Forums

Hepatitis B and Canadian Med Schools

Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to begin with this question, so I'll just put it up here and hopefully someone can help me with my dilemma...

I'm in the process of applying to several medical schools across Canada right now. Unfortunately, I also have chronic Hep B (E antigen positive, high viral load) which I've had since I've been born (I was born in Asia where Hep B is endemic and at a time when vaccination wasn't common). Aside from that, I'm relatively healthy with no liver inflammation. I'm not currently on any medication as my physician doesn't recommend medication unless the virus starts becoming active and affecting my liver.

I have heard from people and read from a lot of medical school web sites about the potential difficulties that someone with Hep B could face when studying medicine, but they don't elaborate on what those difficulties are and whether or not it's even possible for someone with Hep B to go through the program. To make things harder, I haven't been able to get a straight answer from any medical school administration that I've contacted as to whether or not someone who has chronic Hep B can complete the MD program - the only exception is UBC where I've been told by the Student Affairs office that it is possible, which was reassuring but from what I can read on their website, it doesn't seem that it's a guarantee either:

"Undergraduate medical students who continue to fail to sero-convert will be tested for the presence of Hepatitis B antigen by the Student Health Service. Students who demonstrate Hepatitis B infectivity may be required to complete a modified course of training and may pursue their studies only as long as their continued involvement does not pose a health or safety hazard to themselves or others and as long as they are able to meet the core requirements for a medical degree at UBC."

My question then is, does anyone know from their personal experience or from knowing a classmate who has Hep B, whether it's possible to go through a Canadian med school if you have Hep B? And if so, what the limitations or restrictions on their education in the MD program would be? It's been my dream to be my physician for so long and I'm really disappointed that I may be denied an opportunity due to something I couldn't control...

To make things harder, I haven't been able to get a straight answer from any medical school administration that I've contacted as to whether or not someone who has chronic Hep B can complete the MD program

You may also wish to consider the stance of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (e.g. look into what the practice restrictions will be once you complete medical school).

At least in BC, the ability to perform procedures (e.g. surgery, blood draws, physical exams) all seems to depend on your viral load (see page 3). This may be what they mean by "modified course of training" in medical school.

https://www.cpsbc.ca/files/u6/Blood-Borne-Communicable-Diseases-in-Physicians.pdf

You may to consider seeking further information from the College.

• 1 month later...

Students who demonstrate Hepatitis B infectivity may be required to complete a modified course of training and may pursue their studies only as long as their continued involvement does not pose a health or safety hazard to themselves or others and as long as they are able to meet the core requirements for a medical degree at UBC.

Archived