Premed 101 Forums

Course selection for 2nd year at Guelph, for MCAT prep?

Guest joshto

Guest anjah

It depends on who the prof is for Ecology. I took it W05 with J. Buck and she was a mean, bitter old woman who I found to be extremely unhelpful. I personally had to see Dawn Larson twice over her and I've heard nothing good from other people who have taken her class.

The class itself was fairly easy and straight forward. If they haven't changed the format, I would highly suggest not waiting until the last minute to post your assignments as the website has a bad habbit of going down for hours at a time.

Guest aneliz

I took ecology DE and it was pretty easy... there were quizes on each chapter that you had to complete each week (or two weeks - can't remember) and about three 'assignments' that you had to do (short report/research report). There was no midterm and no exam.

I thought that it was pretty easy... but then again, I took it the summer after 4th year so I had been used to doing 4th year level courses at that point.. so a 2nd year course was a pretty easy switch... especially when it was the only course I was taking that summer.

Guest anjah

I've heard that the class version of Ecology has weekly quizzes and what not which contribute to your mark. It's really foggy, and I don't remember if there was a midterm or a final.

Personally, I'd go with DE if you have the choice.

Guest joshto

So would you say Ecology DE is easier than lecture format?

What exactly are these 'reports'? And what in the DE course is actually challenging??

Guest aneliz

The reports were short assignments that you had to complete. They involved reading an article or two, and doing whatever they asked of you in the instructions... (review X number of articles on topic Y, do some of your own data gathering on a certain topic (ie lifespan of humans from cemetery records), etc. Can't remember exactly but it wasn't difficult or time consuming.

Guest joshto

For some reason I feel a little apprehensive to make the jump to Distance Education, and I dont know why, but it just doesnt fill right.

• 2 months later...

As far as I can tell, A FULL YEAR of Organic Chemistry is required at Ottawa, UWO, UBC, Alberta, Sask/Man, McGill, and is recommended at U of C. I'm not sure about other Ontario schools, but as far as I can tell, without a full year of Orgo (plus half a year of stats, a full year of physics, full year of bio, 1/2-1 year of biochem, 1 year of english...) you're really cutting down the schools you could possibly apply to...

Correct me if I'm wrong?! Part of the reason I'm putting myself through Orgo this year is because of my med school applications!

The key to doing well in cell bio is to stay on top of things from the beginning. Review regularly!!! Make your study notes as you go through the course. Do NOT plan to cram for this one!!! It will not work. See if you can get some old exams from biology house. They are good practice for what you will see on the midterm. Also, try and do some reading in the text book on your own. It will help solidify the concepts.

And...

As for the requirements for a full year of orgo - please note that UWO has dropped ALL pre-req courses as of this application cycle. UWO could care less if you have never taken chemistry let alone orgo...

Archived