Premed 101 Forums

Canadian vs. American spelling in WS

Guest Yacek

Guest Yacek

I was just wondering, should we (Canadian MCAT takers) use Canadian spelling ("neighbour") or American spelling ("neighbor") in the Writing Sample?

Are our essays sent back to the U.S. and marked by people there or are any Canadians involved in marking as well? In latter case, MCAT takers from Canada who use U.S. spelling might be penalized by Canadian markers for "spelling errors"... :x I'm probably thinking too hard about this. My Writing Sample skills are not great and last thing I want is somebody getting annoyed at my spelling.

Guest Lactic Folly

Most markers on either side of the border hopefully should be able to recognize alternate spellings and not mistake them for spelling errors.. Anyway, I would try not to think about this while writing the test, as it's entirely possible that no such words will come up in your essays, and you have many other things on your mind during those minutes of frantic scribbling.

Legibility is prob more important in terms of annoyance :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah - don't worry about it. I should have thought about it, but didn't. . . and didn't seem to matter as I scored an S. I'm sure I had a few "colour"s or "behaviour"s in there.

• 5 years later...

Archived