Premed 101 Forums

The real MCAT in comparison to the practice diagnostics?

Guest etheriel

Guest etheriel

Hi everyone, hope all's doing well preparing for Saturday!:)

I'm just wondering, for those of you who've wrote it before, how does the difficulty level of the real MCAT compare to the mock / practice ones out there? I've been taking the Princeton prep course and found a lot of differences in the difficulties of various diagnostics I did. For examples I did ok on 5R and 6R but found 3R a LOT easier. Princeton told us that 5R and 6R is reflective of the level of the real mcat, but I'm not sure how much I believe that as some ppl who've wrote it before have said otherwise.

Sooooo....any thoughts on this? Is this something I should be worrying about? Thanks all!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there etheriel,

I took the Princeton Review course and did find a number of their exams to be representative of the real MCAT. (Sorry, I can't remember which exams.) As has been said quite a few times around here, the most representative look that you can have at real MCAT exams are the latter two AAMC exams--5 and 6. If you've written those, then you already have a good idea. Good luck this weekend! :D

Kirsteen

I was wondering the same thing about aamc #5 and 6. I didn't find them too difficult, especially the physical sciences and biological sciences section. Is this the difficulty level I should expect on the mcat?

I thought the kaplan physical sciences were much harder than the aamc ones.

I made an earlier post saying that aamc #2 was difficult but since 5 and 6 are suppose to be harder I guess I must've been just tired that day.

Guest aneliz

AAMC #5 was almost identical to the real thing in terms of difficulty when I wrote (#6 wasn't out yet, but I imagine it is good also)

AAMC# 4 wasn't bad, #3 was okay but #2 and especially #1 are too easy.

I found that the Kaplan tests have some passages that are too easy and some that are too difficult (like way too difficult!) but overall are okay. Gold Standard is more challenging than the real thing...as a general rule. I would stick to AAMC #5 and #6 at this point...considering how close to the exam it is.

I hope that is helpful!

Archived