Premed 101 Forums

Power outage - How does this affect the mcat tomorrow?

Guest etheriel

Guest etheriel

I hope everyone's doing well and for those of you who can read this...yay! you got some power back on (for now at least). I'm wondering if anyone knows what will be happening with the MCAT testing tomorrow? Since some parts of Canada will not get power back till as late as Saturday...and McMaster University, the one I"ll be writing at, is declared closed today and until further notice. Also public transit is still down...HOw is this going to be affecting the test? I guess the best is to prepare for tomorrow anyway but....damn, it's so frustrating to have to deal with this the day before one of the biggest tests we have to write in our lives. Like there's not enough stress already?

Anyways, be safe and good luck to everyone tomorrow!:)

p.s. pls post if you hear any news!

Guest Lactic Folly

POWER OUTAGES UPDATE: If power is on, so is the MCAT! The August 16, 2003 MCAT will not be cancelled in advance of scheduled test time. If you are uncertain about power conditions at your assigned test site, please arrive on time.

from www.aamc.org/mcat

Guest aneliz

The University of Western Ontario is closed today and will cancel ALL scheduled exams (including the MCAT) tomorrow.

This information can be found here

communications.uwo.ca/wes...g_id=10880

and refers specifically to distance studies exams and the MCAT.

However, the aamc website says that sittings of the MCAT WILL NOT be cancelled in advance and that if the power is ON then so is the MCAT.

If you are scheduled to write at an Ontario university (especially at UWO!), I would suggest that you call the MCAT program office (in Iowa) NOW to find out what is going on.

Good luck!

Guest premed81

I'm just wondering. Since the London (Ontario) test sites have closed down and those people get their MCAT tests rescheduled, how does that establish a "fair playing field" for those who HAVE to take it on Saturday with power (or the rest of NA who didn't experience an outage)? I was just wondering if such a situation can be used to appeal the MCAT? I'm just stirring up a discussion because I can't take studying anymore in the this heat. Best of luck to all.

Hi guys,

I received an email from Kaplan reps about the power outage. This is what it said:

"According to the AAMC, students should plan to ARRIVE AS SCHEDULED at their designated testing location tomorrow morning. There will be a representative from MCAT at every test location, even those without power. If a test site continues to be without electricity or water tomorrow morning, the MCAT proctor may elect to cancel the test at that location. But no cancellation decisions will be made ahead of time. "

--- I don't know how well that correlates to the situation at Guelph and Western if the AAMC has already confirmed that those sites are invalid. It continues though ---

"We spoke with AAMC today to learn more about their plans for any sites where cancellations DO occur. Here's what they told us:

Students at any cancelled site will be eligible for a retest, probably to occur some time in September. If this happens, AAMC will take the necessary steps to ensure that the later testing date DOES NOT impact the student's standing when he or she applies to medical school. AAMC assured us that no applicant would be affected adversely if any cancellations do occur. "

I hope that helps a bit. There's still no power at the hotel where I am writing it, so I am not sure what will happen tomorrow. I also heard that there might be rolling blackouts all across the greater Toronto area tomorrow ( even though I've heard that 70% of the GTA is up and running now). I don't know how that will affect those of us in Toronto who will be writing it tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone though.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey all,

Commenting as an observer, I'd just like to say that as much as we felt that we were so oppressed when it was our turn to write the MCAT so many years ago, it must be 1000 times worse to be in the shoes of someone who is scheduled to write tomorrow. Regardless, best of luck to all- you've come this far, now finish it off strong! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest etheriel

HI all, just to add to info pool, McMaster is officially been cancelled for the mcat tomorrow. And I heard Waterloo may be doing the same...

I've been calling the Iowa centre all day hoping that this did NOT happen....needless to say, for those of us who wanted to write it tomorrow and to mark it as the end of the summer and get it OVER WITH, it's really frustrating...this is personally the worse situation for me as I am scheduled to leave one day after the mcat (18th) to go into Resident Life Staff training for two weeks straight into welcome week, and I can't imagine myself writing two weeks from now, I will literally have no time. And then September comes and school starts...

Funny thing though is that my two friends who are writing in York and Toronto both are probably going to be writing tomorrow, and they totally DO NOT want to write it because they feel like they're not prepared...and here I am wishing that we could've switched places! lol!

That's life I guess. Anyways, I just felt like ranting, thanks for all of you who made it thus far down to the last paragraph, and GOOD LUCK to all who are writing tomorrow. You all won't need it I'm sure, but a little luck can never hurt :lol

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't worry about the fairness of writing the MCAT at a different date. One of the things that surprised me on writing it was that there were many versions being written by the people in the room - the MCAT the person beside me was written was different from mine, the person in front, the person behind, and the person on the other side. It would be absurd for someone to try to cheat by asking a friend who wrote it tomorrow what questions are on it.

The score you get is a scaled score for all people who wrote your version.

Guest toroHaro

Has anybody waited past 8 am at the Guelph test site? What happened then? Did any authority come to make any announcement? I left at 7:30 after seeing the note about cancellation at the door......>:

Guest carebeargirl007

Torohora...sorry I know I spelt that wrong, but I was there a bit after 8 as well, and no authority showed up at Guelph to confirm that the test was infact cancelled. This really completely sucks. I mean you wait for the one day, and it just doesn't happen. I knew last night that it was cancelled but still it would have been nice if someone showed up to the site!! This is all like a nightmare to me. I called the mcat registration number at like 8 today and the lady informed me that they're still there working on a solution and options for the august mcaters. The exam definitely will not be this coming weekend like some people speculated and may be rescheduled to be a month from now. :( Oh well, sorry for my complaints!!! Did people at Waterloo write today??

Guest toroHaro

Thanks for replying. It is a bad time for everyone who has worked so hard for the test and finds it postponed. But it's reassuring to know that I am not alone. Certainly more information from the authority would have been appropriate and comforting.......Nevertheless, let not this glitch weigh us down. Imagine ourselves recalling this incident 5 years down the road, it's just a minor thing in our medical careers (hopefully:D )!

Good luck~!

Guest UWOMED2005

I just spoke to someone who wrote the MCAT in Toronto, after having registered in London. The deal was that London (and other centres) have been postponed until Sept, though people registed there were eligible to join the shortlist in T.O.

Archived