Premed 101 Forums

worth applying?

Guest ikaj

Congrats to everyone for completing your mcat! I am sure your'e probably celebrating right now!

Right now I am thinking I should start looking into the applications asap. but, I am wondering if it is worth it because I don't feel too confident about the VR section. If I put in all the time and effort and the cash into the application process just to realize in october (or whenever we get our scores) that I got a 5 in verbal...is it worth it?

Any advice would be helpful. Just because of the VR, I don't feel relieved after writing the exam. Can't wait until that dreadful day until we get our scores.|I

Guest Lactic Folly

It will probably be too late to apply to Ontario schools when you find out your marks, but you could still apply to those schools with later deadlines..You have to pay UofA upfront, but you could look into Calgary as their deadline is in November.. A lot of the work involved (writing, compiling dates and duties) can be applied to next year if need be.

Guest UTMed07
If I put in all the time and effort and the cash into the application process just to realize in october (or whenever we get our scores) that I got a 5 in verbal...is it worth it?
IMHO it is worth applying.

It is a @#%$ shoot in any case, but I think that describles the process. Also, think about the possibility that things might go better than you now expect. If in October you find out things did go well would you then regret not having applied?

A lot of the work involved (writing, compiling dates and duties) can be applied to next year if need be.
I agree with the above, whereas I know nobody really wants to think about re-applying.

Guest Phil667

Last year I found out my MCAT results about a week or two before the OMSAS application was due. So it is still possible to start applying to the Ontario schools. And if your MCAT isn't up to par then you don't have to waste your money.

Phil

I did the same thing. I had the applications all ready to go for all the Ontario schools I wanted to apply to, and then when I found out I didn't get a 10 in verbal I just didn't apply to Queen's and saved the $. It is really hard to tell how you did on any section because it is somewhat dependant on how other people do as well. I would recommend writing all the essays etc for all the schools you're interested in, and as soon as you can get your marks online, get them and then delete your applications for any schools that you don't meet the MCAT minimums. Last year I thought my worst section would be PS and it turned out to be my highest mark, so it just goes to show how off your reasoning may be! Good luck, and relax until October.

Guest batman

well, at least you'll be able to see your scores a few days before the OMSAS deadline (and avoid losing money, if that's the case). A couple of years ago, you had to apply blindly - and if you didn't make the cuttoffs, no refunds. It's difficult to judge your performance on the MCAT, and people are rarely confident afterwards. I'd go ahead and work on the application (if anything you'll get some practice in), and in the worst case, it's really only on time and effort that you'd lose out. Waiting for the scores is tough, and it only gets worse closer to the deadline... so focus on the application, and deal with the scores later.

Guest peachy

I agree with everybody who suggested that you prepare your applications in the hopes that your MCAT scores are high enough!

I just want to add that, for the most part, once you do a few applications the subsequent ones aren't nearly as much work because you're already asking for reference letters, you've already filled out the OMSAS sketch, you've written a bunch of essays, etc. Presumably you'll still apply to McMaster and Ottawa regardless of MCAT scores, so it won't be TOO much work to prepare your apps to the rest of the schools to which you want to apply (especially UWO :) ).

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, that UWO application isn't too tough! Just make sure that you check your MCAT scores beforehand so that you avoid making a donation to the UWO medical student general scholarship fund!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived