Premed 101 Forums

For those who wrote MCAT today..

Guest dahlia777

Guest dahlia777

Hey guys,

Just wondering how you guys felt about MCAT today?

I found VR the most challenging, and it bothers me a lot since I screwed upon on VR last time. Is it just me who found it difficult? >:

I found my VR pretty good, but that's always my strongest section.

Physical had too much electrochemistry for my liking...biological was good

My writing prompts were tough, but I scratched out some decent stuff

Best of luck to everyone (although it's a little late now)

Guest FrenchyMed

I had version EG.

I bombed the PS because I did not pace myself. When they announced 5 minutes to go I almost had a heart attack... :eek

Used the chrono on my watch for the next sections. VR seemed easy enough and BS was OK. The writing samples were not exactly what I was expecting.

Well, no use crying over spilled milk.

I still don't get why they use this barbaric method of testing. Ottawa and McMaster have the right idea. I just wish others would wise-up.

On the funny side: on a form you need to fill-out, they ask you to copy a statement using longhand - I had no idea what that meant!!! :rolleyes I am a francophone and I am 100% bilingual (since age 3). It's kind of funny that I have never come across that word before. People around me must have wondered what the hell I was doing there if I did not understand basic English...

What a looooong day. I am so exhausted I can't describe it - although I'm sure most of you understand ;)

I had version AK. My physical section started out really easy then got really hard then finished off kinda easy - so I don't know what to think about that.

Verbal was a horrible messy blur of killer passages that I'd rather not ever think about again. Many people felt the same way so I can always pray for the curve to be in my favour.

The essays weren't too bad. I know I could have done better, but I didn't have any major writers block.

Bio was pretty good. I was a little tougher then 6R - more molecular bio then I was expecting, but overall I feel good about it.

Hope you all are recovering and going to salvage your summer!! And I'm so sorry to hear about all the cancellations on the east coast...

Guest premed81

Well, it's been about 6 hours since I finished the MCAT. It was one of the most surreal, out-of-body experiences for me. I woke up at around 5:30am, and I felt really confident and energetic (which is what you need for an 8 hour exam day). I had exam BT. I thought the physical sciences was pretty good although my timing on it wasn't great. The only question I really disliked was one optics question.

The VR, strangely, I feel ok about, but there were definitely passages and questions which I thought were the most psychopathic babble I've ever read.

The WS was probably my favourite (if I dare say so). The statements were easy and such themes about business and education were expected.

The BS was probably the worst. There were so many more passage-based questions than I expected. Timing was bad for me because it felt like a VR all over again. I wasn't prepared for that. Too many inference type questions involving bio passages. Very NOT NICE.

Well, I'm hoping for a 30, but it seems unlikely.

Ugh! How does the MCAT just suck us in like this?

Congrats to everyone who wrote this weekend! You refresh my memory on all of the things I felt about the MCAT after I wrote. Just try to completely forget about everything now and take a break! You deserve it!

Megs

I had EM. I don't know if this was an easier version of the exam or what, but overall it wasn't that bad (other than verbal). Who knows, maybe everyone thought it was not too difficult? If anyone had this version, let me know what you thought!

Guest McCarey007

I had DG and thought the PS was quite easy. So this means the curve will probably hurt me because many people didn't find it as easy.

The VR on the other hand was my absolute nightmare. There must have been 2-3 killer passages right in the middle, and no matter how much i tried not to let those affect my confidence, it was pretty much shattered by the time I reached the 7th passage. *praying to the verbal gods now*

BS was a bit tough. Lots of O-chem that I wasn't expecting and was pretty ambiguous to me. The genetics questions were tough, but I graduated already, so had lots of experience with questions like those.

Everyone feels @#%$ after writing the MCAT. All of my friends did and I'm sure the rest of the moderators can agree.

I spent the next two months trying to analyze how I did... please dont do that too... it just makes the waiting longer and the stress even higher.

I got my marks back on Oct 10 so dont expect anything until around then.

If you put in a lot of work it will pay off . Now just sit back, relax and try and get that GPA up this year as that also counts for a lot of the application!:D

Guest studentz

I had version EG.

I thought the PS section was way harder than AAMC V or VI, but I didn't pace myself properly so that may have been why.

The rest, especially BS, I found pretty easy. I lucked out with two great WS topics about businesses and education & equality.

Holiday Inn was a nice place to write it though.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I felt like @#%$ after the MCAT as well. Most of my classmates did as well

How hard your version was is irrelevant - the question is not how many answers you got right, but how that compared to everyone else who wrote it. Theoretically, if you only got 2 questions right and every single other person got zero right, than you could have a 15 in a section.

Guest minnieMD

HI...

The Mcat was more difficult than I had anticipated. I thought PS and Verbal were tricky...sort of tripped on one essay...but BS was alright. I just studied so hard for it but still feel like $%^.

I'll try not to let it get to me!

Guest Nikhila

I wrote version EG as well and I SO didn't pace myself during physical, I got caught up on one of the magnetics questions so I had to seriously guess the last 6 questions (i didn't even have time to read them). I'm quite worried about PS. Verbal was ok and same with BS (holy cardiovascular system questions, I was shocked at how biased the section was towards this topic) and I think my writing samples sucked ASS. Anyways, I'm so glad its over, I had dreams about the questions last nite but whatever, no use in thinking about it now. Hopefully it'll all work out in the end!

Best of luck to all who are applying this year, may the force be with all of us :)

Guest Lola Lee Lolo

wow, other ppl who wrote EG! i was reading the e-mcat board and no one else there wrote EG, so i couldn't relate to their comments.

i seem to have been just as slow as everyone else on the PS section--it went by so fast and i didnt have time to finish!! VR was at a much high level of difficulty than i expected, which annoys me because it is my strong suit; surprisingly i finished it on time.

WS was reasonable--no politics question! amazing...

and finally BS...well, i was useless on the organic questions (i really dont like orgo, LOL), but the bio was alright. in fact, i got a little freaked out because one of the passages (ANF/renin-angiotensin rats) is DIRECTLY related to the topic of my upcoming master's project. that really blew me away!

i would say overall i found the exam more difficult than i expected, but i didn't let myself get freaked out. i am glad that the electricity held out for the duration of the exam. i would have hated to defer the exam until september!!

Guest physiology

Hello,

Do different geographic areas get certain test versions?

Here in Vancouver, I knew of a lot of people who had "CT" versions, like me.

Guest woodland

did anyone have version CK? what did you think about it?

i thought physicial was okay, verbal hard as expected and bio was KILLER

i wrote in calgary

Guest The Rookie

I also took the CK exam in Calgary and had the same opinion that you did about each section.

It is interesting to note that first letter of the exam code appears to be the test (test C) and the second letter appears to be the test location. Take a look at Physiology's entry in the "Who in Ontario wrote the mcat today" thread. Physiology wrote the CT exam in Vancouver and it had the same topics that we had in the CK exam in Calgary. (I know that others in Calgary wrote FK, etc)

Just remember that if we all think that the exam was a killer, there should be a real steep curve ... :D

that reasoning isn't true. When i wrote it in London there were DK, DC, PS, EF and EG's everywhere....

I think its just a test code as there are different tests on each sitting.l

Guest physiology

"Thank you for your patience - Now we will take a ten minute break"

"Part 1 - Fill in the first four letters of your last name, and then shade the corresponding ovals"

"Part 2 - Fill in your date of birth and then shade the corresponding ovals"

"Part 3 - Fill in your social security number and then shade the corresponding ovals"

After the invigilator had to repeat the same instructions over and over, I was SO sick of filling in all that personal information.

Did anyone else just cut out a photo from a family album of themselves and paste it onto the MCAT admission ticket? That's what I did - at 1 am the day of the test :)

There is a point to all my ramblings, I just wanted to know if everyone had the same writing topics.

1) Businesses succeed by taking advantage of their customers.

2) Education makes society equal.

By the way, I agree with The Rookie and woodland on the bio section, it harsh sucked. It was definitely the hardest part.

The verbal - my first passage was about that critic who was described by T.S. Eliot: "He was not a critic."

I didn't like how they put that passage first - it was hard, so I skipped it and moved onto the others. I eventually came back to it though.

Anyway - scaling is good, they should do plenty of it.

I had those topics.

They were a little more abstract than the ones I'd done for practice (especially the education one) but I think I made some good arguments.

Guest kingatqueens

I feel pretty confident about VR, BS, and PS.

However, I also screwed up my WS:

I ran out of time for the last task. I did write something for it (stated my main argument for the 3rd task), but I didn't have a chance to completely expand or explain. Aside from that, my essays were fairly well written.

Can I only get an N?

Thanks to everybody on the board, and good luck this coming cycle!!!

Archived