Premed 101 Forums

HELP! I need advice!

Guest snowpea

Guest snowpea

Thank you to those who are reading this and for your advice. I am presently freaking out. I am the queen of procrastination. I had set aside 2.5 months to study for the MCAT. (This August). I have procrastinated until now. (Don't ask me how). I am freaking out because I only have 1 month 3 days left to study, and I have yet to start. Unfortunately, I have already registered and paid for the MCAT. I am now thinking about not taking the exam until next year. Here are my options and their consequences. I will be grateful for any advice and would love to hear what you would do in my (self-inflicted) situation. Please do not scold me about my procrastination because, trust me, I already fell really bad and stupid.

1) Study like hell this month, stress out the whole time. Do only fair on the test and therefore have wasted $180 US. Will have gained experience on what the test is like.Take the test again next summer.

2) Get a refund. Will lose $80 US. (Max refund is $100). Take the test next summer. Will not have 2 MCAT scores on my record.

I am really considering option 2, but I am also planning to go to Europe for 3-4 weeks next summer. This will be in the middle of my studying time. I am afraid that the Europe trip would be too great a distraction, and I will be in the same position again. What would you do?

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there snowpea,

First off, how do you feel about the rote memorization-ish material, i.e., the sciences, at this point? Did you happen to just cover orgo, physiology, physics or general chem this past year, or have any of their associated factoids really glued themselves into your neurons in the past? If so, you may be able to use the next month-and-three-days fairly successfully to efficiently brush up on those topics while practicing the anti-rote memorization-ish VR and WS sections.

Next, if you've never written the exam before, whether in a real or mock setting, then there will also be some value in giving it a go simply to become a little more familiar with the experience in total.

Also, a last anecdote: there's someone in my current MCAT class who, along with her sister, were in a similar position as you. Neither carried huge bags of confidence as the MCAT day quickly approached, so the person in my class decided not to write, while her sister decided to make a go of it. Turns out, apparently, that her sister fared very well (above 10s in each numerical category) and has incidentally just completed her first year in UT meds.

Ultimately though, your call!

Cheers and best of luck,

Kirsteen

Archived