Premed 101 Forums

MCAT test dates

machine

Should I write the MCAT on July 6th AND Aug 23rd (if necessary)?

The MCAT essentials states to not write in Sept b/c on rare occasions they experience problems with servers or workstations.

The first write could be a practice run if I'm not happy with my score. I have NOT taken university o-chem, but did some o-chem in high school. I will have taken first year bio, physics, chem, human phys. 1 & 2 by May. I'll have 74 days to study for the July 6th test date. I'm planning to self study btw.

Or should I space out the test dates less/more? I don't know if I'll be to register for Aug 23rd in July ... so I picked early July as my first test date).

Any feedback/input would be much appreciated!

Thank you!:)

No one can tell you when to write since we don't know how much you know already (we know you took the classes, but how long ago, how well do you did, how much you remember is unknown). Also, we don't know how busy you'll be during the summer with your other commitments. Even if we did, we don't know your study habits or how well you retain/learn information. It's totally based on you. Start studying, do a practice test, and then gauge where you're at base on that.

One thing I do know, is that I wouldn't "plan" to write twice if I were you. Use the AAMC practice tests as your pre-tests (there are 9 of them). This will save you money, time, and mental anguish.

Well make sure that you are serious about the early one , if you are planning to just do that as a practice mentally you are not likely to score at your potential.

I have the same dilemma and I decided to just write the later date. I wanted to write 2 tests but I knew that I would not be ready for the first one. I also have other commitments and cannot study early for a June test.

No one can tell you when to write since we don't know how much you know already (we know you took the classes, but how long ago, how well do you did, how much you remember is unknown). Also, we don't know how busy you'll be during the summer with your other commitments. Even if we did, we don't know your study habits or how well you retain/learn information. It's totally based on you. Start studying, do a practice test, and then gauge where you're at base on that.

One thing I do know, is that I wouldn't "plan" to write twice if I were you. Use the AAMC practice tests as your pre-tests (there are 9 of them). This will save you money, time, and mental anguish.

+1

10char

First thing I should let you know...organic chem in high school is not the same as university. But I also want you to know, that orgo is not as impossible as some people make it out to be. Human phys will help you out quite a bit.

You should probably just study all summer and write it at the end. There's no point to take the first half of the summer lightly, thinking you still have the second half of the summer to really prepare for the MCAT. However, if your highly motivated and think you can be ready by July, go for it.

Archived