Premed 101 Forums

Oldest MCAT for 2012 entry

The answer is "not really". The overwhelming majority of schools I applied to this cycle would not look at my 2007 MCAT. I rewrote it in August, and as a result most schools did not begin to review my application until my scores were released in September, which is considerably late by AMCAS standards.

The take-home message is that you will likely have to rewrite if you want a realistic shot at US schools next cycle, and that you should try to have your score released by July at the latest.

(Note: I was accepted by Boston University, and I think part of the reason was that they allow you to submit your application for immediate review if you have a pending MCAT score. You can also email an appeal to U Chicago (Pritzker), asking them to consider your 2008 score. This worked for me, however I ultimately was not granted an interview there because of my low first MCAT score.)

The answer is "not really". The overwhelming majority of schools I applied to this cycle would not look at my 2007 MCAT. I rewrote it in August, and as a result most schools did not begin to review my application until my scores were released in September, which is considerably late by AMCAS standards.

The take-home message is that you will likely have to rewrite if you want a realistic shot at US schools next cycle, and that you should try to have your score released by July at the latest.

(Note: I was accepted by Boston University, and I think part of the reason was that they allow you to submit your application for immediate review if you have a pending MCAT score. You can also email an appeal to U Chicago (Pritzker), asking them to consider your 2008 score. This worked for me, however I ultimately was not granted an interview there because of my low first MCAT score.)

I just looked over Boston U's website and it said that for 2011 entry the oldest MCAT they would cosider is April 2007. So by extrapolation, I would assume that for 2012 entry the oldest MCAT they would consider would by April 2008, no?

...perhaps "overwhelming majority" was an overstatement. Here's a list of schools I applied to where my 2007 (i.e. your 2008) would be considered valid:

VALID:

Wayne State

Michigan State

Vanderbilt

Case Western

NYU

Baylor

INVALID:

Albert Einstein

Rosalind Franklin

Mount Sinai

NY Medical College

Loma Linda

Mayo

George Washington University

...these are just a portion of Canadian-friendly US schools, and the policies of each school are subject to change each year.

I just looked over Boston U's website and it said that for 2011 entry the oldest MCAT they would cosider is April 2007. So by extrapolation, I would assume that for 2012 entry the oldest MCAT they would consider would by April 2008, no?

Yes, that's true. I forgot to mention that the situation becomes a bit cloudy if you have a valid MCAT (i.e. a 2008 for some schools), but have also indicated on AMCAS that you will be rewriting in the near future.

...perhaps "overwhelming majority" was an overstatement. Here's a list of schools I applied to where my 2007 (i.e. your 2008) would be considered valid:

VALID:

Wayne State

Michigan State

Vanderbilt

Case Western

NYU

Baylor

INVALID:

Albert Einstein

Rosalind Franklin

Mount Sinai

NY Medical College

Loma Linda

Mayo

George Washington University

...these are just a portion of Canadian-friendly US schools, and the policies of each school are subject to change each year.

Thank you so much for the break-down. I highly appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that's true. I forgot to mention that the situation becomes a bit cloudy if you have a valid MCAT (i.e. a 2008 for some schools), but have also indicated on AMCAS that you will be rewriting in the near future.

Hey thanks for the help. Can you elaborate on this? I was thinking of submitting my AMCAS application in June and possibly writing the MCAT in August in time for Canadian applications. Would some of the American schools consider my 2011 MCAT score as well? I wrote the first time in 2008.

@btnh_e99, AMCAS will automatically update your submitted application with your 2011 scores once they are released should you choose to re-write the MCAT

Both your new and old set of scores will be included on your AMCAS report and forwarded to your designated medical schools.

Note also that many American medical schools do not look at multiple attempts on the MCAT in a favourable light unless there is a significant improvement. So, if you have solid scores from your first attempt, just check with individual schools regarding their validity for this upcoming application cycle.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hey,

Thanks for your reply matriculant2011. I have a high GPA (OMSAS 3.91, not sure about AMCAS but from looking at the conversion table it will probably be a bit higher) and a reasonable MCAT (10 BS, 10VR, 14 PS, Q Writing). Most schools in Canada require an 11 for BS or VR so I usually miss the cut off by 1. It seems like not writing my MCAT again basically limits me to Ottawa since McGill is extremely competitive for out of province applicants. I also haven't taken English which eliminates a bunch of schools as well. I have to weigh my options and see whether re-writing is worth it. Ideally I'd like to get accepted to a program in Canada but at the same time I need to be realistic which is why I am considering more options. Thanks for your help!

Archived