Premed 101 Forums

Second Undergrad questions

Hey guys, I have a few questions about the second undergraduate degree....

So to be eligible for Western, the 2nd degree has to be at least 2 years long right? (Assuming I get transfer credits, allowing it to be an Honours degree).

And other than Western, which schools require you to finish the second degree?

Are there any medical schools in Canada which require you to be at school for another 3-4 years for the 2nd undergrad just to be eligible?

thanks

So to be eligible for Western, the 2nd degree has to be at least 2 years long right? (Assuming I get transfer credits, allowing it to be an Honours degree).

I would make sure, if i were you, that transferring credits does not hurt you. My 2 degrees don't count towards certain schools' policies 2nd degrees, AND since I used transfer credits towards them they count all my old bad marks towards the GPA. So be wary. This may just be my specific situation, however.

And other than Western, which schools require you to finish the second degree?

NOSM for sure, maybe McGill?

Are there any medical schools in Canada which require you to be at school for another 3-4 years for the 2nd undergrad just to be eligible?

thanks

3 yrs for NOSM

4 yrs for McGill

However if you take courses over the summer you can shorten up the actual length of time.

For NOSM and McGill you need to be in your final year of your second degree for them to consider those marks rather than your first degree. You don't need to complete 3 or 4 years per-say, you need to be in a 4 year degree (I think - nowhere really offers 3 year degrees anymore), but if you have enough transfer credits and/or summer courses to complete it in 2 years, you should be fine as well. Best to go to their websites directly and check it out.

Archived