Premed 101 Forums

Help!!!

Inspiration

Hey guys!

I really need help. Earlier during the week, I showed my essay to my school's academic advisor and he basically said that it was CRAP (in other more polite words I guess ...) and when I asked him how I should improve my text he basically dismissed me by saying that he shouldn't be writing the essay for me. So now I'm really desperate because the deadline is 5 days away.

In my personal narrative, I have basically talked about three big events that influenced me and allowed me to be who I am today. But the problem with this is that they aren't directly related to medicine although they help to develop qualities of a good physician

So, I wanted to know, is it better to link all elements of an essay to a central theme or it is okay to list things chronologically?

I think that either way is OK. Just keep in mind that the adcom will go over hundreds of stories like yours. So you have to be consise, fluent, straight to the point, not trying to over do it by doing some sentimental or complex sentenses.

If your highlights are not directly related to medicine, you have to say WHY these elements will make you a good medical student/doctor. For example, if you say that you played piano for 15 years, you have to add that you learned commitment, discipline, that you continued despite this obstacle in your life, that you know you can achieve anything with motivation and hard work, etc.

AND you have to linked these qualities with your perception of medicine.

Hope this helps and good luck with your essay!

I think it's good to have some concrete examples to support your development; but don't forget that the topic of the essay this year is "the journey that has brought you to the decision of becoming a physician" or something like that.

I personally linked all my experiences to a central theme which answered my motivation to become a medical doctor to make it feel more like a journey and not just a list of things (you have your cv highlight for that).

Try to tie everything back to your motivation and like the others have said, really be concise.

You still have time to do a good essay, just relax a little and re-read it. Also, let your family and friends read it, they can really give some constructive advice to your narrative because they are the ones who actually knows you.

Good luck with your application!

thanks a lot guys! I just re-wrote it today and I think I got a better hang of it. Although there's something else that I'm not sure about. Is it necessary to relate everything to medicine in each paragraph explicitly? Like for example is "I did X,Y,Z which taught me A,B,C" sufficient? Or shall I also add A,B,C are essential qualities in becoming a doctor?

I completely agree with JamesNixon, as long as you can relate these events to the qualities of a good physician who in their right mind would turn you down just because they aren't directly related? Not everyone has done things directly to medicine, but who's to say that they wouldn't be able to learn and become a good physician someday?

Follow what you feel is right, good luck.

Yes its sufficient. As long as the reader can make the link and get to know you better from your letter.

thanks a lot guys! I just re-wrote it today and I think I got a better hang of it. Although there's something else that I'm not sure about. Is it necessary to relate everything to medicine in each paragraph explicitly? Like for example is "I did X,Y,Z which taught me A,B,C" sufficient? Or shall I also add A,B,C are essential qualities in becoming a doctor?

Archived