Premed 101 Forums

Which American School to apply to?

To be honest with you I think your MCAT is an obstacle. The average tend to be 10-11 in each section (SD of maybe 1.5) for accepted Canadians (I remember seeing this in a chart from AMCAS), which means overall 30+ is much more competitive. If you can pull up that MCAT a few points then you'd be much better off. Remember seats in US are very limited and there are some pretty competitive Canadians trying to grab those seats.

If you can pull up your MCAT then I think you can apply to all the schools mentioned in the Rejected/Accepted thread.

To be honest with you I think your MCAT is an obstacle. The average tend to be 10-11 in each section (SD of maybe 1.5) for accepted Canadians (I remember seeing this in a chart from AMCAS), which means overall 30+ is much more competitive. If you can pull up that MCAT a few points then you'd be much better off. Remember seats in US are very limited and there are some pretty competitive Canadians trying to grab those seats.

If you can pull up your MCAT then I think you can apply to all the schools mentioned in the Rejected/Accepted thread.

The OP is a US citizen. Best to look at MSAR and see what comes close to you. Also comb through SDN forums.

Thanks! The only matter is that the MRAS stuff doesnt really give any information about graduate students and their chances for getting in. Cant seem to find a school which is friendly with graduate students and a better GPA can make them friendlier towards my app as I dont have a crazy high MCAT score.

Also the fact that I live in Canada makes it harder to understand if I have a shot in any of the schools there. But thanks for all your help!

Thanks! The only matter is that the MRAS stuff doesnt really give any information about graduate students and their chances for getting in. Cant seem to find a school which is friendly with graduate students and a better GPA can make them friendlier towards my app as I dont have a crazy high MCAT score.

Also the fact that I live in Canada makes it harder to understand if I have a shot in any of the schools there. But thanks for all your help!

Bottom line, it is your U/G GPA that will count and not your graduate GPA. The graduate school will look great on your app for doing research, but will have no bearing on your marks. Schools likely don't favor grad students over non grad students unless the school is research heavy, or generally likes those with meaningful research as part of the admissions criteria.

Best to rewrite the MCAT if you are timid about applying, or are unsure of your chances.

In medical terms, the MSAR is the "Gold Standard" for US applicants. It gives the best indication of the crucial counted numbers.

Bottom line, it is your U/G GPA that will count and not your graduate GPA. The graduate school will look great on your app for doing research, but will have no bearing on your marks. Schools likely don't favor grad students over non grad students unless the school is research heavy, or generally likes those with meaningful research as part of the admissions criteria.

Best to rewrite the MCAT if you are timid about applying, or are unsure of your chances.

In medical terms, the MSAR is the "Gold Standard" for US applicants. It gives the best indication of the crucial counted numbers.

No no. All grades count. There are even specific post-bacc programs geared towards raising your gpa for med school.

Anyways, to the OP, even your undergrad gpa looks great. Yes your mcat is a downer. I think DO schools will show you some love. However, I would just apply broadly everywhere. So what if you spend $5000 on apps instead of $4000? Do you really want to have that "what if" situation?

Im looking for a med school(s) in the states to apply to which would give me a decent chance of an interview. Summarized version:

Undergrad GPA (AMCAS): 3.87

Grad GPA: 4.0

MCAT 28Q

US citizen

Decent ECs and research experience (each 6yrs +). Have good references. Thanks!

Echoing what others have said on here. With a 28Q MCAT ... it may affect your ability to maximize your interview opportunities. Would you be able to apply under the URM program? If so then, you should take advantage of that as you can get into top 10 schools with a 28 MCAT and your GPA!

Archived