Premed 101 Forums

Northern Elective

Hi everyone!

I am a medical student at U of C and am going crazy trying to book a 3-week northern Canada elective for this upcoming summer (preferably the territories). Does anyone know of who I might contact? I've been at this since November and haven't been able to secure anything and am getting desperate!

I am looking for a clinical as well as a cultural experience.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Best bet is to start contacting clinics on your own. Historically, NOSM has only allowed 1 month electives. My partner and I finally just started contacting clinics directly because we couldn't work anything out in Northern Ontario. The only downside is that we didn't qualify for the grants to cover travel and accommodation. We were able to set up a great two week elective pretty last minute.

Memorial has a teaching center for Northern Family Medicine in Goose Bay, Labrador. They handle all the healthcare for the coast of Labrador (lots of isolated aboriginal and non-aboriginal communities). You fly in and out. MUN students can do rotations for family through there.

Contact Memorial and see if you can set up an elective there.

The people I know who went to Labrador loved it. I worked there on a work term for engineering. It's a beautiful place.

Archived