Premed 101 Forums

How Important is your undergrad GPA after you got in?

Hi everyone,

I'm taking an English course right now as a pre-req and have just received an essay grade worth a decent portion of the final marking scheme. Unfortunately it was an extremely low mark. It doesn't seem that the course is getting easier either and I've been lost in the lectures most of the time. I'm contemplating dropping the course, which would mean that I would be out of running for schools that I've received an interview for that requires English(i.e. UofA)

I have an acceptance from an US school that doesn't require this English course(pretty good school too, really liked it) and several interviews from Ontario schools (which is where my top choices are, being from Ontario myself). So I don't think I need this course but the premed wisdom would tell me that always cast a wide net because you never know might happen in the end. I do want to stay in Canada for med school and am willing to go anywhere to study basically.

So should I keep the course? Can any med student comment on if one's undergrad GPA will be useful for anything else down the road aside from gaining admission to med school? Scholarships maybe? I know one course will not affect my cGPA by much but it's still a bit of a drop and I've worked pretty hard all 4 years to keep them high. If undergrad GPA will not matter whatsoever after you are admitted to med school, then I'll keep the course and live with the consequence of possibly getting a barely passing mark for this course.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm taking an English course right now as a pre-req and have just received an essay grade worth a decent portion of the final marking scheme. Unfortunately it was an extremely low mark. It doesn't seem that the course is getting easier either and I've been lost in the lectures most of the time. I'm contemplating dropping the course, which would mean that I would be out of running for schools that I've received an interview for that requires English(i.e. UofA)

I have an acceptance from an US school that doesn't require this English course(pretty good school too, really liked it) and several interviews from Ontario schools (which is where my top choices are, being from Ontario myself). So I don't think I need this course but the premed wisdom would tell me that always cast a wide net because you never know might happen in the end. I do want to stay in Canada for med school and am willing to go anywhere to study basically.

So should I keep the course? Can any med student comment on if one's undergrad GPA will be useful for anything else down the road aside from gaining admission to med school? Scholarships maybe? I know one course will not affect my cGPA by much but it's still a bit of a drop and I've worked pretty hard all 4 years to keep them high. If undergrad GPA will not matter whatsoever after you are admitted to med school, then I'll keep the course and live with the consequence of possibly getting a barely passing mark for this course.

Thanks

Why don't you email the adcom to the prospective medical schools your are talking about. They would be the best people to get an answer from.

Archived