Premed 101 Forums

B+ cGPA, what schools to apply?

I am going to assume B+ to be 3.3-3.5 range. With that being said, you are below the average accepted AMERICAN student for US Schools (GPA 3.6, MCAT 31) and Canadians at American schools (GPA 3.7, MCAT 33?) With that being said, I would recommend the OP to aim for at least a 32 on the MCAT. Then apply to schools like Wayne State, RFU, GWU, SLU that regularly accept Canadians. The higher the MCAT, the more likely it can compensate for your below average GPA. good luck

I am going to be honest with you, with 3.5-3.6 not even lower and with 32 -34, you may get interview but 99% times you will get wait-listed, GPA is the problem, either go for DO or something else, or go for another year or two to improve your GPA , There are some exceptional students who get accepted with this stat but it is very rare , I have similar stat and 32 MCAT and I had 3 interviews and wait-listed in all ,I know many other students with same stat and similar result so it is not interview skills

I am going to be honest with you, with 3.5-3.6 not even lower and with 32 -34, you may get interview but 99% times you will get wait-listed, GPA is the problem, either go for DO or something else, or go for another year or two to improve your GPA , There are some exceptional students who get accepted with this stat but it is very rare , I have similar stat and 32 MCAT and I had 3 interviews and wait-listed in all ,I know many other students with same stat and similar result so it is not interview skills

What Angel said is largely correct. However, I did get into a MD school with 3.6/30, BUT it was my second time applying. The first time I applied my interview went horribly (got a expert in my research field grilling me on pathways). I applied this year and had a great interview (ofcourse, more experiences/extra-curricular to talk about). So in conclusion, you can get in with a 3.5/32 but you better be prepared to ACE your interviews. Good luck

Do either of you know how US schools look at second degrees then? Do they just add into that big chunk of your first undergrad GPA? Would a masters be a better choice if your at like 3.4ish then a second degree?

Yes, they add all GPA, so you need essentially 4.0 to pull your 3.3-3.5 to 3.7ish area. US schools, unlike Canadian schools, care little for masters or grad degrees. The only benefit you get by doing a grad degree is that you have something good to talk about during interviews. If you want to apply to the Us, I would look up SMP (special masters program), essentially you are taking med classes, and if you do well there is a good chance school will overlook your undergrad GPA and emphasize your SMP GPA and give you interviews. Georgetown has a really famous SMP. Otherwise I would stick with a masters or a second degree and apply in Canada, where they are more favoured. Good luck

First congrats to our friend for acceptance , you are one of those exceptional people, Be careful about SMP, they are expensive, you may need to pay over 50000 and then never get accepted anywhere, I think you should write MCAT first, if you can get over 32, then think about your GPA, , I hope that you will be realistic about your chances and do not waste your time and money !

Counting repeat mark only applies to DO schools. For AAMC and allopathic schools, they average retakes so I would advise against retakes unless its a prereq that you got really really low in.

Look into redoing some of your lower marks. I believe AAMC only counts the later course mark.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but SDN told me this.

Archived