Premed 101 Forums

GPA required for second degree admission?

Hey guys,

my gpa is currently an abysmal 2.23 and I'm worried to death that it's not even high enough for any school to accept me to do a second degree with them :(.

Has anybody been admitted for second degrees with similarly low marks?

I should also mention that I want to do the second degree in my hometown of Toronto (or close by) to reduce costs, since my first undergrad degree was done out-of-province. So namely York, U of T, Ryerson, Guelph, etc.

It will depend on the university and the program. Some programs will be extremely competitive to get into (ie. programs that typically require 90%+ from high school applicants), and others will be less so. Your best bet is to check with the universities you are interested in, and ask what their entrance requirements are for the programs that interest you.

Thanks for the replies!

Actually I am not yet dead set on applying for med school. I have been for the past few years leaning towards physiotherapy, but I am still exploring a plethora of options in the health sector -- OT, medical diagnostic sonography, etc. The problem is my gpa is not competitive enough for ANYTHING. I want to undertake a second degree not just for the opportunity to increase my chances of being competitive for these options but to also prove to myself and anyone looking at my application that I have changed since doing my first undergrad. The reason I am asking such a question on a medicine-focused forum is because there are a number of students who have done second degrees here, more than any other forum I could possibly find.

What I am deeply afraid of is being able to just get into another school to do this. I already e-mailed York and the average required for Psychology is higher than what I currently have...

Thanks for the replies!

Actually I am not yet dead set on applying for med school. I have been for the past few years leaning towards physiotherapy, but I am still exploring a plethora of options in the health sector -- OT, medical diagnostic sonography, etc. The problem is my gpa is not competitive enough for ANYTHING. I want to undertake a second degree not just for the opportunity to increase my chances of being competitive for these options but to also prove to myself and anyone looking at my application that I have changed since doing my first undergrad. The reason I am asking such a question on a medicine-focused forum is because there are a number of students who have done second degrees here, more than any other forum I could possibly find.

What I am deeply afraid of is being able to just get into another school to do this. I already e-mailed York and the average required for Psychology is higher than what I currently have...

Have you considered colleges as well? There are a lot of options available in places such as Centennial college for programs such as nursing, becoming an EMT, etc.

You might also have more luck in contacting the university you went to at first, they will often allow students to come back and try to improve.

Also has there been any time after your first degree, or are you just finishing it now? I would e-mail as many programs and universities as possible - I would be very surprised if you didn't get in somewhere (I think undergrad programs at universities are likely to be willing to give people a second chance - Queen's was willing to give me one).

I hadn't finished a degree when I applied to UVic, but my GPA at the time would have been around where yours is now and they accepted me. (I know UVic isn't exactly ON, but still)!

Going in to talk to someone at the schools you're interested in, in person, can be a great way to start. I know it sounds labour-intensive, but it's probably worth it.

I completed my first undergraduate degree with a 2.44 CGPA, and I applied and got rejected from UofT St. George Life Sciences and transferred my application to UofT Scarborough Biological Sciences and got accepted for my second degree, two years after I graduated.

You can also check continuing education such as Ryerson University's The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education.

Good luck!

Archived