Premed 101 Forums

Vulnerable Position Screening

depi

I asked a question similar to this before, but just one more.

I'm staying an extra year at UWO before applying to med school the next application cycle. These med schools require a vulnerable position screening. I am just wondering that, because during my orientation week as a frosh I drank as an underage and received a letter from res as an alcohol warning. Furthermore, the Student Emergency Response Team has my name on medical records as well and I don't know how maybe campus police may have been involved in this as well.

I really don't want one stupid mistake I made 3-4 years ago affect my med school application that I've worked so hard on. Would this come up on a Vulnerable Position Screening? I've never been arrested, given a ticket by the police, talked to the police, etc. but I am scared that they may have somehow gotten a hold of the information from SERT or campus police. Thanks.

Don't worry about it! There was a past thread made about this (charged in the US) and everyone believed it wouldn't make a difference. You havn't even been charged.

I'm staying an extra year at UWO before applying to med school the next application cycle. These med schools require a vulnerable position screening. I am just wondering that, because during my orientation week as a frosh I drank as an underage and received a letter from res as an alcohol warning. Furthermore, the Student Emergency Response Team has my name on medical records as well and I don't know how maybe campus police may have been involved in this as well.

I really don't want one stupid mistake I made 3-4 years ago affect my med school application that I've worked so hard on. Would this come up on a Vulnerable Position Screening? I've never been arrested, given a ticket by the police, talked to the police, etc. but I am scared that they may have somehow gotten a hold of the information from SERT or campus police. Thanks.

Thanks.

From that night looong time ago though my roommate told me he saw a police officer (probably campus police) with me bringing me to bed but I've heard nothing about the incident except a letter from res. Would this change anything since I was never charged or anything? And even so I have a chance to appeal the VSS right?

One more thing, would it show up if I was under 18 at the time of the incident?

On the vulnerability sector screening it notes "and any police involvement with the regional police" :S

Foreman, on House, got into Johns Hopkins Med after stealing a car, so I assume you'll be fine for having a drink or two.

If you haven't heard anything of it since, it means you're safe.

:eek: A car!!!! OMG how could they let him in!! ..... :P

I found this pretty funny when I read it hahah.

As for your situation, I agree with the others, no big deal and if it keeps bothering you, go to the police and get them to run a check.

During my undergrad, my house was blacklisted by London police for noise complaints and parties and they took my driver's license information down on four occasions. Coupled with that, I've had terrible luck with patrol cars looking for either too many passengers in the car or passengers not wearing seat belts.

All in all, I've had to pay over $1000 in fines throughout university and when I got my vulnerable sector screening for another job, I saw that I have no charges and a completely clean record.

You're fine for drinking in residence. Residence Life departments and actual law enforcement are two different entities.

As for your situation, I agree with the others, no big deal and if it keeps bothering you, go to the police and get them to run a check.

I had a single car accident where I got a "failure to exit roadway in safety" ticket, when I was 17. Any issues there?

as a past CA/RA/don..not at uwo though, I don't think it matters, any incident report I wrote about underage drinking just stays in the residence system.

Oh. I've never actually gone to court for any of my above experiences...

My understanding is that the vulnerable sector screening is to ensure that you are okay to work unsupervised with children and disabled individuals. If a road violation comes up as something on a criminal record (which I doubt), the medical school would probably investigate, find out that you just got into a car accident and drop the matter...

Of course, that's just conjecture...

Any better (learned) opinions?

I'm just worried because I originally got a careless driving, and had to plead it down to failure to exit roadway in safety. It was a pretty stupid mistake, made within months of when I first got my license.

Oh. I've never actually gone to court for any of my above experiences...

My understanding is that the vulnerable sector screening is to ensure that you are okay to work unsupervised with children and disabled individuals. If a road violation comes up as something on a criminal record (which I doubt), the medical school would probably investigate, find out that you just got into a car accident and drop the matter...

Of course, that's just conjecture...

Any better (learned) opinions?

Thanks a lot jetstar. I really appreciate it.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that a stupid mistake you made when you were 17 isn't going to matter when it comes to med school. Even if this was to show up... it's probably taken with discretion.

For the drinking in res and with SERT. I'm assuming it works the same way at Western as it does where I go to school, but any patient care reports we submit are only read if we have to go to court (ie- someone sues our a**), so if someone has read it you can just sue them for breaking confidentiality ;)

You guys are FINNNNNE

Archived