Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Prep Time

Guest Natalia22

Guest Natalia22

Hi!

I was wondering if someone who has taken the MCAT can give me some advice about how much time is required to adequately prepare for the MCAT. I plan on writing in August. I thought that I would start studying in January, however this semester has been very hectic and I will not be able to start studying until it is over (May). I also plan on working full-time during the summer, so I will have about 25-30 hours/week to study. Is that enough of time? It should be noted that I took most of the courses required for the MCAT about 4 years ago, so I am a bit rusty with the material. Also, many people have suggested in previous posts that reading magazines, such as the Economist, is a good way to prep for the VR section. Is reading sufficient, or are there certain techniques which should be applied (such as underlying and cirlcing key words, as would be done when doing the VR in the MCAT)?

Any advice about the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Talia

Guest Lactic Folly

It's probably better that you're not starting until May.. I would find it difficult to retain material from January if the exam is in August :) If you mastered the material adequately when you took it, even if it was a long time ago, I think you will be ok with a focused study schedule. For the VR section, I suggest trying out different techniques to see what works best for you, as everyone has their own favoured strategy.

I'm writing it in April and tried to start studying in November, it didn't work. There was no urgency and for me that's what get's me going, I think a solid 3-4 months is good.

For VR, I'm preparing by reading the new yorker, harpers, the economist and doing a ton of practice passages!

Guest malepatternbaldness

You shouldn't be too concerned. When I wrote the MCAT last Aug I didn't start studying until june. I put in 3-4 solid hours every night after work and did a lot of practice tests in the 2 weeks prior to the exam and everything turned out okay. Just be sure to make some time for yourself.

Archived